Steve seemed calm about the entire thing, shoving the note pad and pen back in his apron pocket as he said. "Oh Aaron? He's the back, trying to get some rest. Poor lad's been trying to feel better for the past hour and a half,"

Rose crossed her eyebrows, her heart already tightening in her chest. "Feel better?"

Steve nodded his head, his eyes flickering to the back of the cafe. "Yeah, sick as he could ever get," He then released a small sigh. "It beats me on how he's still working."

"What do you mean working? You told me he's resting in the back," The panic was leaking out of her voice.

Steve smiled, something she never saw him do before. "He took up my shift when I said I'd be late, poor guy's been working for 6 straight hours."

"6 straight hours?" Rose said shocked, her heart rocketing against her chest.

Steve's gaze turned soft, almost amazed as he told her. "Yeah." He then looked over his shoulder at the demanding customers before he told her. "Well I've got to go, work's waiting,"

"Steve wait," Rose said, instantly stopping him as he looked at her. "Do you think I can go and take a look at him?"

Steve then smiled, sincere green eyes staring at her before he nodded his head. "I'm sure he'd be happy to see you."

Rose gave Steve a small smile as she quietly thanked him and rushed to the back of the cafe.

✼✼✼

He wasn't happy to see her.

When Rose came in, Aaron was suffering from a coughing fit, wheezes escaping his lips as he tried to breathe in.

He was wearing his apron too, with a thin black shirt that clung to his torso as he coughed.

He was so beautiful.

Aaron then cleared his throat, exhaling a small breath before he resumed to lying down on the couch.

And when Rose came in and met his tired blue eyes, he freaked out.

"Rose?" He said, she could see him trying to stifle a cough. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you," Rose said, her soft brown gaze focusing on Aaron as she let out a little breath.

"I don't need you to check up on me Rose," Aaron said harshly, tearing his gaze away from her. "I'm perfectly fine."

She tried not to get hurt by his words.

But her eyes seemed to reflect some of her hurt, for Aaron's harsh stare softened, but she whispered. "Aaron I saw you coughing, you're not alright."

Aaron's blue eyes blazed, shaking his head furiously. "It doesn't matter whether you saw me or not, I'm absolutely fine Rose,"

His eyes were still so beautiful.

She feared to anger him, but gathering all the courage she had, Rose walked closer to him, placing two fingers against his forehead.

And he was burning.

"Aaron, goodness me you have a fever!" Rose exclaimed, her worried stare immediately meeting his annoyed one.

"Rose just leave me alone," Aaron said, clenching his jaw as he turned away from her. "I will deal with it myself."

Her heart hurt, hurt, hurt.

"Then what are you still doing here?" Rose said, her pleading gaze meeting his blue one as she sighed. "You're suppose to be home, resting."

Aaron didn't answer her, he simple turned away from her, as though she never came.