"I just need to touch up my makeup. I know what Luciano intended for this event, and I'm not planning on causing any problems."

His grip tightens again, eyes flashing when I refer to his father by name. He considers it a sign of disrespect. But after that day, I never used the word 'father' to refer to that man. He had never been one to me. My real father was some other man, a man I know nothing about—except for the fact that he's the one who gave me this wavy mess of dark hair.

Carlo takes this personally; it only reminds him of the fact that I'm an outsider. That I shouldn't be here. But I think he would be just as upset if I started calling Luciano by the same title he uses. My brother and I share the same mother, and that's about it.

All my life, I've been pushed around by Carlo. He's always called the shots, reminding me that he's going to be just like Luciano one day. In a way, I can't blame him. His fate has been programmed into his DNA since the second he was conceived.

Carlo is going to be Boss one day, and he looks the part too. He's tall, built, and cold as steel. His close cropped, sleek hair contrasts starkly with my wild locks. That difference between us, seemingly small, has always felt like yet another thing to isolate me. A clear indication of the fact that I don't belong. That I'm not like him.

Suddenly, Carlo's attention is diverted by his buzzing phone. He brings it to his ear, listening for a few moments, and his face hardens. Something is wrong. I think I hear Luciano on the other end, but before I can be sure, Carlo mutters a quick assent and releases me, stepping back. "You clean up nicely, Nina, but consider pulling your dress down a bit in the front. Elegance doesn't suit you."

I glare at his retreating figure, not letting his words slump my shoulders until I'm safely in the limo with the doors closed. My driver glances back at me in confusion, his eyes widening slightly at the tears starting to crowd at my waterline.

"Can I just have a moment?" I sniffle, and he nods quickly, stepping outside.

My hands tremble as I fumble with the diamonds again. They feel like they're choking me, wrapping like a vice around my lungs, but I force deep breaths. I know that if I step out of line tonight, I'll have to answer to a monster. Luciano Genovese, Boss of the Genovese Family, is not someone to mess with. There are no limits to the people he'll obliterate, the lengths he'll go to exercise dominion over those he deems weaker than him. Family has a different meaning when you're Boss of one of the most powerful crime families on the west coast.

I've let only a few tears drop when I hear a muffled pop from outside. From the tinted window to my right, I have a perfect view of the hotel's magnificent double doors that were set to seal my fate, my re-entrance into society.

A large but lithe figure dressed in black streaks out those doors. People jump back in surprise as he sprints past them. I'm mesmerized at the way he moves, like a shadow, unstoppable—until two other figures shoving their way after him distract me.

They pull out Glocks and gunshots pierce the air. People scream and drop to the ground. I recognize one of the men as Carlo, and in that same second the driver side door of the limo is ripped open. A giant of a man slides in smoothly, and before I can even take my next breath, the car is tearing away from the sidewalk.

I am frozen.

Does he know I'm here?

As we zip haphazardly past cars parked on the side of the street, the man whips out his phone. He speaks in rapid fire Italian and he's in the middle of his conversation before I remember to breathe again. He definitely still hasn't seen me since I'm half hidden by the divider.