Chapter 5

Lockhart's Classroom

(The walls of Lockhart's office, lined with framed photograpsh of... Gilderoy Lockhart. Y/n, Harry andLockhart work by candlelight at an ornate desk. Blearyeyed, Harry addresses envelopes, while a cheery Lockhartputs his signature to the stack of glossy photos bearinghis image)

Lockhart: Can youpossibly imagine a better way toserve detention than by helping meanswer my fan mail?

(Y/n and Harry force a smile)

Lockhart: Fame's a fickle friend, Harry.Celebrity is as celebrity does.Remember that.

(Harry nods, glancing gloomily at the towering stack ofenvelopes that remain. Dipping his quill, he starts towrite, when... a chilly voice fills the room)

Voice: Come... come to me...

Y/n: What?

Lockhart: I was saying, six solid months atthe top of the bestseller list!Broke all records!

Y/n: Not you... that voice.

Harry: I heard it too.

Lockhart: Voice?

Harry: Didn't you hearit?

Lockhart: What are you two talking about?I think we're getting a bitdrowsy. Great Scott and nowonder, look at the time! We'vebeen here nearly four hours!Dinner's nearly done! If you two hurry you might make pudding.Spooky how the time flies whenone's having fun!

(Y/n looks around confused)

Corridor

(Y/n and Harry pass quickly through the lengthening shadows ofthe empty corridor, when...)

Voice: Blood... I smell blood...

Harry: Y/n...

Y/n: I hear it too...

(They stop cold, looking around for the source of thevoice)

Voice: Let me rip you... let me killyou...

(Y/n steps to the wall, playing his fingers along thestone, then begins walk, slowly at first, then morequickly, as if following something, moving faster andfaster, rounding the corner and coming face to facewith... Hermione and Ron)

Hermione: Y/n! Harry!

Harry: Did you hear it?

Ron: Hear what?

Y/n: That... voice.

Hermione: Voice? What voice?

Harry: We heard it first in Lockhart'soffice and then again, just-

Voice: Kill... Time to kill...

(As Y/n and Harry stiffen, Hermione and Ron study them curiously)

Y/n: It's moving. I think it's goingto kill.

(Y/n and Harry run off. Hermione and Ron exchange a glance,follow. Y/n and Harry dash madly, taking the steps three at a time. They make the landing, rush through the archway, and... sled to a stop, listening... Nothing. Slowly, they peer down. Water is oozing over the stone floor,surrounding their shoes. Y/n's own reflection appears and,behind it, undulating like a dream... words. Ron andHermione come huffing up)

Ron: Y/n, Harry, what are you doing?

(Y/n points. Shimmering on the wall are the words he sawreflected in water: THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENEDENEMIES OF THE HEIR... BEWARE)