Chapter 1

Privet Drive

(At the dursley's house, Harry is sitting by the window of his room on the second floor)

Harry's Room

(Harry pages through a scrapbook and stops on a moving photo of Y/n, Ron and Hermione. Harry jumps as hedwig squawks. She pecksat the lock slung through her cage door, then glowers atHarry)

Harry: I can't, Hedwig. I'm not allowedto use magic outside of school.Besides, if Uncle Vernon-

(At the sound of the name, hedwig squawks again, louder)

Vernon: Harry Potter!

Harry: Now you've done it.

(In the kitchen petunia puts the finishing touches to a pudding of whipped cream and sugared violets, Vernon struggles with dudley's bow tie, all the whileglowering at Harry)

Vernon: I warned you. If you can'tcontrol that bloody bird, it'llhave to go.

Harry: She's bored. If I could just lether out for an hour or two-

Vernon: And have you sending secretmessages to your freaky littlefriends? No, sir.

Harry: But I haven't gotten any messages.From any of my friends. Not one.All summer.

Dudley: Who'd want to be friends with you?

Vernon: I should think you'd be moregrateful. We raise you since youwere a baby, give you food off ourtable, even let you have Dudley'ssecond bedroom... purely out ofthe goodness of our hearts.

Dudley: I thought he got the secondbedroom because Mum was afraidhe'd turn us into dung beetles ifyou put him back in the cupboardunder the stairs.

(Petunia  stops cold, exchanges a dark look with UncleVernon, then sees Dudley extending a finger for thepudding)

Petunia: Not yet, popkin. That's for whenthe Masons arrive.

Vernon: Which should be any moment. Now.Let's run through our schedule onemore time. Petunia, when theMasons get here, you will be...

Petunia: In the lounge, waiting to welcomethem graciously to our home.

Vernon: Good. And Dudley?

Dudley: I'll be waiting to open the door.

Vernon: Excellent.

(He turns to Harry)

Vernon: And you?

Harry: I'll be in my bedroom, making nonoise and pretending I don'texist.

Vernon: Too right you will. With anyluck, this could well be the day Imake the biggest deal of mycareer.

(The doorbell rings. Instantly, Uncle Vernon shoves Harry outof the kitchen and into the hallway)

Vernon: Upstairs! Hurry!

(Harry enters his room and turns then stops dead... a tiny creature with bat-like ears and bulging green eyes is jumping onhis bed as if it were a trampoline. This is dobby)

Dobby: Harry Potter! Such an honor itis!

Harry: What... Who are you?

Dobby: Dobby, sir. Dobby the house elf.

Harry: I see. Not to be rude oranything, but this isn't a greattime for me to have a house-elf inmy bedroom.

Dobby: Oh, yes, sir, Dobby understands.It's just that, Dobby has come totell you... it is difficult, sir...Dobby wonders where to begin.