Chapter 4

Hogwarts

(The Whomping Willow sulks in the courtyard, slings strungabout its injured branches. Students hurry inside the greenhouse for the beginning of class)

Greenhouse

(As Y/n, Harry and Ron enter, seamus, neville and some of theother Gryffindors hover nearby)

Neville: Detention. On the first day?

Seamus: That must be some kind of record.

Hermione: I should think you'd countyourself lucky that's all you got.

Ron: I should think you'd mind your ownbusiness.

Y/n: Stop it.

(They glare at each other. Professor sprout, a squatlittle witch, taps her wand on a stack of pots)

Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three,Second Years. Today, we will bere-potting Mandrakes. Now, whohere can tell me the properties ofthe Mandrake? Yes, Miss Granger.

Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora, is usedto return those who have beentransfigured to their originalstate. It's also quite dangerous.The Mandrake's cry is fatal toanyone who hears it.

Sprout: Excellent. Ten points toGryffindor. As our Mandrakes areonly seedlings, their cries won'tkill yet. However, they willknock you out for several hours.That is why I have provided eachof you with a pair of earmuffs.If you would then...

(Ron frowns. He's gotten a bright pink fluffy pair. Whenthe class is ready, Professor Sprout leads them to the garden area. She grasps one of the tufty plants beforeher... and pulls. Harry gasps. Instead of roots, asmall, muddy, extremely ugly baby pops out of the earth,leaves growing right out of its head. Neville's eyes roll back and he faints. Professor Sprout plunges the bawling creature deep into a pot, removes her earmuffs, and the others follow suit.Everyone save Neville, who lies stretched on the ground)

Sprout: Hm. Looks as though Mr.Longbottom neglected his muffs.

Seamus: No, ma'am. He's just fainted.

Sprout: Very well. We'll just leave himthen. Come now. Four to a tray,plenty of pots to go round...

Great Hall

(Percy enters in the company of Penelope Clearwater, justas nearly headless nick glides by)

Penelope: There's Nearly Headless Nick.

Percy: Hello, Sir Nicolas.

Nick: Hello, Percy. Miss Clearwater.

(At the Gryffindor table, Hermione has her nose buried inGilderoy Lockhart's Travels with Trolls. Ron runs gobsof Spellotape over his broken wand, shakes his headgrimly)

Ron: Say it. I'm doomed.

Harry: You're doomed.

Y/n: Completely.

(A light blinds Harry. He blinks, finds a smallboy standing before him with a camera)

Colin: Hiya, Harry. I'm Colin Creevey.I'm in Gryffindor too.

Harry: Hello, Colin. Nice to meet-

Colin: They're for my dad- thepictures. He's a milkman, youknow, a Muggle, like all ourfamily's been until me. No oneknew all the odd stuff I could dowas magic till we got my letterfrom Hogwarts. Everyone justthought I was mental.

Ron: Imagine that.

Colin: Say, Harry. D'you think yourfriend could take a photo of meand you standing together? Ya'know, to prove I've met you?