Chapter 7: A New Mission

Start from the beginning

"Right." Allison puts her cup down, acknowledging the black-haired boy. "Obviously I've told you that we've located Edmund's son, Matthew. While we did that, I've forged a new mission for the both of you."

A new mission. That's what Swift was worrying about on the way to the coffeehouse. Why did I think of anything else? He was expecting a briefing for today's mission in Milan, but of course not. Years of keeping in contact with Allison, it's always her unpredictability that always awestrikes him.

Allison noticed how Swift rolled his eyes and scoffed at her announcement. She understood how tired he is. "I've called to tell you that I'm assigning you for a reconnaissance mission."

The term reconnaissance left Tom in wonderment. "I'm sorry, what's that?" He never heard such fancy words like it. Maybe he did, but he isn't sure.

"Recon, as in observing and reporting. Usually means taking a closer look at for example the enemy's activities, what they're up to and-" Suddenly Swift came to a halt in the middle of his explaination to the uncertain Tom. "Wait, what are we doing recon on?"

"Matthew. And it involves enrolling you two into Northview."

Enrolling? Swift isn't too sure what Allison meant by that. Formally it means signing up for something like a club membership or school. He is also confused by what Allison meant as Northview.

"'Northview?'" Asked Swift.

"It's a public high school in Los Angeles, where Edmund and Matthew is from."

"Wait a minute, so you're telling us that you're getting us into... high school?" That pause Swift took was a pause full of disbelief and denial.

"Yes."

Swift almost swallows his own throat hearing Allison's answer. Never in his life that he thought he would hear that news come out of Allison. Him? Enrolling into high school? His entire life he's been taken care of and homeschooled by Allison, Swift had never been properly introduced to the life of being a high schooler.

"Excuse me? Why?" Swift says with doubtful eyes.

"It's a way of getting close to Matthew. He's a teenager, for God's sake. Of course he spends most of his time being in school. So I need you two to infiltrate Northview to keep an eye on him because a little bird told me he's up to something."

"Something?" Swift asks.

"I don't know. The intel's pretty vague these days."

"Okay, infiltrate seems to be the correct word, I guess." Tom chuckles. "So how are you supposed to enroll the both of us without any of us having previous academic records?"

"I had to improvise. Carter constructed you two fake academic profiles, told them the both of you are transfer students from Pennsylvania."

After sipping from the coffee cup again, Swift speaks up. "Wait, wait, wait. First: There has to be another way to do this. And second: What do you mean told them?"

"First: Too late, I've sent both of your applications to Northview. And second: I already said it."

Goddamnit. Adding to Swift's vexation, it gets even worse. Allison took the liberty to sign Swift and Tom into Northview without even telling them first. "Without our permission?" He added.

"I knew you'd say no, so I thought it would be best if you didn't know. Besides, you both are practically working for me, so this is another job for you to take." Despite how Allison said it, she's not wrong, for Swift at least. But for Tom, that was insulting. He's just a homeless street kid who had nothing to do with the CIA. The only reason why he's here is because Swift needed a helping hand.

With how frustrated Swift is at the moment, he didn't realize that he started sipping his cappuccino a lot more frequently.

"After all, that's what I've trained you for, right? Ryan?" Allison stares at Swift.

"I guess..." Swift replies in defeat.

"Not me though, right? I mean, why are you involving me into this?" Tom raises his hand in question.

"You've proven yourself as a very applicable asset in the field. We could use someone like you, you know."

"Huh, I don't know whether to be flattered or worried." Tom appreciates Allison's praise for his skills.

Swift shook his head. "But anyways, um, when do we depart for California?" He asks as Allison parted her lips from the coffee cup's edge after taking another sip.

"You'll be sent to L.A. in two days time. After that, you'll have another twenty-four hours to settle in with your surroundings, get to know L.A. and then... you both will be off into Northview. Carter already filed your documentation. All under your real names. Speaking of Carter, he'll be accompanying you on your trip."

"He'll be with us in the field?" Swift raised an eyebrow.

"More or less. He'll be doing the analyst work. Your eyes and ears."

Swift nods understandingly. It was a vulnerable nod, but it was an accepting one. The amount of work he knew he had to put on the job is unsurprising. Whatever. Swift surrendered.