I gaped at him. Did he just call me an idiot twice? Yes. Yes, he did.

Before I could react, he bent forward and in the next second, I went airborne as he swung me over his shoulder and promptly started down the road.

"Hey! Put me down right now!" My fists pummeled his back but he ignored me.

"Sure. I will put you down," he said casually as if we were out on a nice midnight stroll. "As soon as we are out of here."

"I said I don't want your help!"

"You keep saying that but in the end, you still need it. If something were to happen later, what would everyone think knowing I left you here? I'm not going to risk it and take on that burden for you, just so you can stew in your own misery for a bit longer."

"I'm not stewing—"

"Let me put it this way. Would you leave an abandoned, lonely puppy behind, shivering and weak in the rain, just because it bares its tiny teeth a little?"

"I'm not some abandoned weak puppy, okay? And...besides, it's not raining," I added more quietly.

"I think you're shivering enough without the rain, but alright."

My mouth opened but nothing came out. I'd thought I'd hidden it well...

"How about this?" he continued. "If you tell me how you would've managed by yourself, I will put you down."

My lips pressed together.

"That's what I thought."

His dry tone was really pissing me off. "You know what? You're like the most annoying person I have ever met."

"Right back at you," he countered.

We both fell silent. His shoulder pressed into my stomach and I grimaced. "This is really uncomfortable. At this rate, I'm gonna puke because of—" The world spun and suddenly I was back on my feet.

His hands gripped my arms as I swayed trying to regain my bearing. He leaned down, searching my face and suddenly my breath caught. He was entirely too close. "Did you take something?" 

"What?" Where did this come from?

"Did you take something," he repeated in a serious voice. "Drugs."

My mind flashed to the pills I had taken earlier. "N—no." I flinched at my stutter but then again I hadn't taken drugs. At least not in the sense he was asking.

"Are you sure?" His hazel eyes bore into mine. What the hell? Why did I have to answer to him anyways?

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes," I said with more emphasis this time. "Are you going to ask me how much I drank next? Or if I smoked? Do you want to know my blood type as well?"

His features relaxed. "Why not? Mine is O by the way. You should remember that in case of emergencies."

"Don't worry I will make absolutely sure there will be no mistake if that hypothetical emergency ever arises."

Killian let out a dry chuckle and crouched down, his back to me. "Get on. Unless you want me to continue carrying you the other way." I sighed, grabbed his shoulders and he hoisted me up. "Are you more comfortable now? Or would your highness prefer a princess carry?"

"Just...shut up," I mumbled. The faster we were out of this forest the better.

His back and hands felt unnaturally hot. Some sort of survival instinct must have taken over because my frozen limbs hugged him a little more tightly, trying to soak up his body heat, and I was too tired to fight it. My nose filled with a mixture of soap, sandalwood, and something uniquely masculine. Of course, he had to smell fucking great.