Chapter 9: Greed

The moon rose over the 24th floor. The assault team has made extraordinary progress completing up to 1/4 of the game but this floor was considered the most dangerous floor by far. Traps, poisonous swamps and more difficult mobs spawn within the floor. This resulted in more deaths than all the lower floors combined. This floor was foreign to our beater as he wasn't able to access the 24th floor.

Right now our duo are resting at an inn preparing for the boss fight. They were planning to head out early in the morning to get to the boss room on time. The cabin provided a warm atmosphere for the duo to stay comfortable within the room. Asuna was munching on a toasted ham and cheese sandwich that her partner and herself made as a night snack before bed. The warm cheese mixed with the savoury ham made the girl feel like she was in paradise. Her partner had been teaching her basic cooking skills and techniques in which she picked up relatively quickly. Even getting praise from the swordsman that some day she'll surpass him in cooking.

Asuna: *munch* so... *munch* who do you think will get the attack bonus?

Muzan: who knows... it could be anyone. We've been clearing the recent floors with no deaths from the boss raids. I'll like it to keep it that way.

Asuna: Kirito mentioned a new guild will be joining the assault team. Any idea of what their like?

Muzan: Kirito only mentioned that their leader is a strong individual. I would like to see how strong... You should get some rest... we got a long day ahead of us...

Asuna: alright... don't stay up too late.

Muzan: *nods* Goodnight, Asuna

The swordswoman soon tucked herself under the blanket. Taking one last look at the boy in front of her before entering a sleeping state. She has noticed a change in being around the masked boy, her nightmares have gone completely.

Flashback

"AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

A blur of chestnut coloured hair arose from a bed rising to a sitting position, heavy breathing could be heard as the victim tries to calm themselves. The victim? Asuna. Bringing her hands to witness them shake vigorously as her breathing hitched and her heart rate was at a all time high. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes. A nightmare... but not the nightmares of her mother, that taunted her before. It was about her dying in SAO. The thought of dying, Kayaba's explanation of of the nerve gear sending a electrical impulse to the brain made her mind go haywire. It had felt so real... she then leapt out of her bed, running out the door straight after. Bolting out of her inn room and down the hallway.

Arriving at a door, Asuna started banging on it in rapid succession. Once the door had opened she immediately latched on to whatever was on the other side of the door. Muzan's face was riddled with confusion at the girl who looked like she wasn't going to let go any time soon.

What prompted her to act this type of way? Was his question

Muzan: are you alright?

Asuna didn't let go, gripping her arms tighter around the boy and more tears threatened to fall down her face. The boy, lacking the ability to deal with the situation. Awkwardly wrapped his arms around Asuna, rubbing her back in a circular motion trying his best to comfort the girl that was hugging him.

Muzan; better now?

The girl could only give him a nod before wiping the tears that fell. The boy then sighed before grabbing her hand guiding her back to her room. Asuna gained a pink-ish hue upon her cheeks, embarrassed cause of the close contact between the two and ashamed because of how she showed this weak side of her. She had always hid her problems and showed a strong display but there will always be a breaking point and this was the day. Asuna hoped that the boy wouldn't push her away due to this situation.