Chapter 9

Ram

I stood in my tent for at least an hour staring at my wife's photo and Veera's. They were hung on a string-like clothes.

The more I looked at their photo side by side. The more furious I got. There was no doubt, he would've hurt her by now. She would've cried for me, helplessly waiting for me to pop out and help her. I fisted my hands into a ball and shook my head. I should not lose hope, I told myself.

I heard someone walking inside.

"Hmm?" I asked without turning towards him.

"The guys woke up," Shankar said. He was talking about the officers who accompanied Pavi the day she was kidnapped.

"And?" I raised my eyebrows.

He dropped a recorder next to me on the table.

"They gave a statement," He pushed play.

At first, we could just hear struggling breathing. Like he was propping himself up, then he cleared his throat and spoke up.

"Pavitra madam wanted to go to the festival," He inhaled.

"There were two of us, Well, four, two of them were in the van," He huffed.

"I and Kumar followed mam around......As we moved closer to the mandir, the crowd thickened. Then all of a sudden two women garbed our necks and choked us with a string," He coughed.

"They pulled us away from the crowd. No one could hear us since the drums were very loud. ear-piercing loud,"

"They tied our hands and legs together and threw us in a tent and set it on fire,"

"By gods grace, we surviv---" I pushed the stop button and exhaled.

"What were the other two doing?" I asked.

"Someone uncapped the petrol tank," He said. "and burnt it," he sighed. "They are okay tho,"

"Did they say something?" I asked.

Shanker nodded but didn't utter a word.

"Well?" I stepped in front of Shankar.

"I'm...scared." He said, his voice trembling in fear.

I put my hands on his shoulders and assured him. "What did he say?"

"He...said whoever...responsible for 'her' death will face the same fate," He paused at stared at emptiness. "and the first prey is madam, Veera told him that before setting the fire off," He fidgeted with his hands uncomfortably.

"Which 'her'?" I asked. I sounded like an asshole asking that question. That's when I realized how many people we had killed trying to get to Veera.

Well, I had the court order to shoot anyone who stood in my way, and they would've killed me if I hadn't killed them first.

"The girl in the wedding..."  He said feebly.

I scratched my eyebrows and turned to him. "You are worried about that?" I put my hands on his shoulders. "You did what you had to do, She was protecting a vigilante," He nodded slowly.

"She tried to escape from police custody and you shot her," He looked at me with all the guilt in the world. "He can't do anything to you, you did what you did to protect justice, I'll protect you, man," I patted his shoulders.

He took in one shaky breath and looked at the ground.

"I have work to do, I'll be back," I said as I  exited the tent, leaving him alone. Shankar is genuinely scared of Veera, He would most definitely try to take out Shankar for killing her, but not on my watch, I lost my wife and I'm not willing to lose my friend to that bastard again.

I got to my jeep and was about the board it when I heard Prabhu's voice.

"Sir!!" Prabhu trotted towards me calling out my name in a frenzy. "Sir!...Sir..." He panted in a raspy tone.

"What?" I asked him as I removed my sunglasses.

He took in a few breaths before he began to speak. I sighed. Shankar joined us, he still looked like he had seen a ghost.

"I have to go somewhere," I told him gritting my teeth in frustration.

"Sir," He started. "They...He kidnapped Chinna," He let out.

"What!?" Shankar shouted. He ran his hands through his hair.

"The groom?" I guessed that due to Shankar's reaction. I looked at Shankar for a reaction but he started at nothingness with his eyes bulging out.

"Yes," Prabhu confirmed.

"I'm next," Shankar said putting his fist in his mouth. He was muttering something to himself as he slowly sat down on the ground with his back against the jeep.

"Mano and his men just popped up around town, picked him up, and disappeared," Prabhu explained.

"Where the hell was Jagan when this happened? Sightseeing?" I groaned, massaging my temples.

"Maybe," Prabhu shrugged.

"Tell him to meet me at my office as soon as he comes," I jumped into my jeep. "Move!" I warned Shakar who immediately got up.

"Where are you going?" Shaker asked straightening his clothes.

"The waterfall," I said starting my jeep.

"I'll come," Shankar offered.

"No you stay here," I denied. "it's safe for you to stay here," I can't let Shankar step into Veera's playing field. It's safe for him to stay at camp.

I looked at Prabhu who was looking at Shankar suspiciously. "You. Come with me," I told Prabhu.

"Okay," He got on the back of the jeep.

"Don't go anywhere, stay at camp," I said as I took off.