Step 3: Fall off a horse

Začít od začátku

"I don't know, something not dreadful perhaps?" Frey gestured to Marius. "It's your job to make sure they're presentable, isn't it? Just... Have new names for them before I come back to take Tea For Two out."

The stable boy arched his eyebrows.

"That's... Pretty soon, isn't it?"

"Well... Best not keep young Lady Hargreaves waiting then." Frey gave him a big, clearly not genuine grin before turning to Luna with a sigh. "He's new. Doesn't quite know his place yet, but Damien insists he's good."

Luna nodded slowly as she looked at the leaving man over Frey's shoulder.

"Don't think you'll ever consider a servant to know their place before they actually kneel down in front of you."

Frey shrugged again.

"He will, eventually." He then looked back at the chestnut horse. "Take that one. It goes best with your clothes, just... Don't tell anyone its current name, all right?"

Luna shook her head, and after the stable boy had finished preparing Not-Happenstance-Anymore for her, Frey could finally send her off on whatever risky business she'd gotten into.

"Is she wearing your clothes?" The stable boy asked from behind Frey as Luna had disappeared. "You've worn those before, right?"

"I hear you're still speaking of clothes despite it not being your place." Frey glanced over his shoulder. "If I were you I'd prepare Tea For Two and then get started on those names instead."

The stable boy laughed softly, to Frey's disgruntlement.

"Right away, my Lord."

***

The forest path was so peaceful. All he could hear was the sound of Tea For Two's hooves rhythmically stomping down on the hardened mud as she calmly ambled along. The leaves were a stunningly vivid blend of yellow, orange and red as autumn had rolled in over the forest trail and Frey enjoyed the cold, fresh air immensely.

While he generally wasn't an outdoors person it was different on top of a horse. He wasn't required to do much work aside from keeping his balance, and Tea For Two was a delight to handle. She knew the route they always took and her gait was flawless, it was like floating.

He found himself a little bored though, despite ruckus earlier. He supposed he could look forward to giving the stable boy a piece of his mind after he'd most definitely failed to find suitable names for the horses, but it was hardly enough to fill a day. After a year of barely working or socialising, he was running out of things to do.

The stable boy was conveniently present as Frey returned, having led Formerly-Named-Carrots outside to release her into the paddock, only stopping to brush some trampled dirt that had stuck to her hoof.

"So? How's the naming coming along?" Frey looked down at him, pleased with his current position of being above him.

The stable boy straightened his back after clearing Formerly-Carrots' other hoof and met Frey's gaze with his constant, cheerful smile. He actually looked rather handsome when he smiled, and Frey narrowed his eyes.

Such a waste on a servant.

"Well I have some suggestions if you'd like to hear them, my Lord."

"I'd be delighted." Frey's voice was dry.

"Right then. For Carrots here—"

"Not Carrots."

"For Not-Carrots here, I was thinking Amber."