Mark • Persimmon

synopsis: two best friends spend a hot summer day together, with underlaying feelings things are bound to get interesting. 

Being friends with Mark Lee was a dangerous thing. It came to me naturally like breathing from the first moment I saw him. But I really wasn't a special case . Mark seemed to make friends everywhere he went, an advantage that naturally came with his social and likable personality. He was funny, easy-going and had a childlike enthusiasm for the world which was contagious. He was trustworthy and kind, the type that would go through the fires of hell for his friends. Being friends with him was dangerous because he was all that. It was like balancing on the edge of a knife, trying your hardest not to keel over with an east wind blowing against your back. As easy it was to be his friend, it was twice as hard to not fall in love with him.

It was a hot summer day and we were laying down in the shade of an old oak tree. We had decided to do picknick out of nowhere and now we were laying here, munching on big chunks of watermelon. 

''Seriously, watermelon during summer is the best.'' Mark said, his mouth full with the red pulp.

''For real.'' I nodded as I took another piece out of the tupperware box. 

''I feel like watermelon is the most underrated fruit out of all, you get me?'' He continued, wiping his mouth.

I raised one brow sceptically. 

''No, but like, seriously though! Think about it!'' His eyes widened, one corner of his mouth twitched upwards. ''Things like mango and pineapple are way more popular, but watermelon is so much better like you know when its summer it's very hot so you have to drink a lot of water? Well watermelon is like 99% water so you eat a couple pieces, BAM, hydrated!'' 

I laughed and shook my head. ''Okay, yeah watermelon is great but I don't think it's underrated. Okay so maybe it isn't the most popular fruit but still so many people eat it. If watermelon is underrated already, what are fruits like blackberrys or persimonns?''

''They are just unpopular.'' Mark laughed. ''Nah, just kidding. I guess you're right. Man, I haven't had a persimonn in a while! I don't even remember what it tastes like..."

''Oh my god, see! They're so underrated you've completely forgotten what they taste like!'' I said dramatically. ''How could you!''

''Oh my god nooo, how could I forget them! Persimonn, I have failed you!'' He fake cried. ''We should buy one later today. The legendary persimonn must never ever be forgotten.''

''Wise words, my young apprentice.'' I nodded solemnly, my hand on my heart. 

He chuckled and then saluted me. ''Thank you ever so, my honourable master.'' A giggle escaped his lips.

His laughter was contagious and I felt a wide grin spread on my face. It was so easy to be myself with him. 

''Hey supermarket, I'm tired of laying around. Last time we met you offered to teach me how to ride a skateboard, is that offer still on the table?" I tilted my head slightly as I waited for him to answer.

He pushed his hair back out of his eyes and laughed, looking puzzled.

'' I mean, yeah sure but - wait, did you just call me supermarket? Oh my goood, when will the nicknames end?'' He moaned, his hands pointing up to the sky.

''They will end when I run out! Unfortunately, that might take a while Marcaroni.'' I beamed, causing him to errupt in laughter again.

I got back on my feet and dusted off my pants. One of the best things about Mark was that he laughed at about anything. Making jokes being my main coping mechanism, he really was the perfect guy to make me happy. I always felt good when other people laughed. And  his laughter was most definitely my favourite one in the world. It was not just the sound which by itself was enough to make my belly tickle, but the way his face took the most bizarre shape as he threw his whole body against whatever was near enough, hitting whoever was brave enough to stand within his range. When Mark laughed, he really laughed with his whole being.