ive got you

JJ's pov

"Jay!" A girls voice called out.

"Go away." I called back. "No"

I ignored her and kept walking picking up my paste.

"JJ Maybank!" She yelled.

walk faster, don't let her see.

"John Jacob Maybank." She called my first name. Only pope and John B knew it.

They told her. I stopped.

"Jay," she said as she ran to catch up with me.

"I couldn't let them hurt her. Not Kiara." I said while she could tell i was hurting.

"I don't want to be damaged like me." I started again.

"JJ, she didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sure. She wanted you to be safe." Kenzie said pointing at me.

'She wanted YOU to be safe.'

"I didn't want her to be ashamed." I said quietly.

"I guess my thoughts just took over. I, I just." I tried to say before my legs turned week.

10 years ago

"Jay, be safe I love you." My mom told me before continuing to pack.

"Mom, where are you going?" I asked being a curious 5 year old.

"Don't worry Jay, I'll be back in 10 days! Just for my special boys birthday." My mom told me with a bright smile.

JJ's 6th bday

"Dad moms coming back!" I said excitedly waiting at the door.

"Sure kid." Dad said while getting a beer from the fridge.
He'd been drinking 10 times as much as before.

2 hours passed since the last plane went over OBX.

4 hours. Mom where are you?

8 hours. The sky completely dark.

10 hours. "JJ?" A girl called out as her and her friend walked by.

"Hey pope, kenzie." I called by.

"I have something for you. It got in 30 min ago." The blonde girl called out, handing me a letter.

JJ. I love you and I couldn't have made it this far without you. You have all the right to be mad, just know it was best this way. Happy 6th birthday. Keep a close eye on all your friends. Especially the Thornton girl. She's a good kid. Even though she's what you call a 'kook' maybe she can be a 'pook' or 'kogue.' I don't know just trust her and you will get through anything. Don't be ashamed of me please. I'm sorry Jay.

Love mom.

"Jay?" She called out. I looked up in tears.

She rushed over hugging me as pope gave me a small hug. "Its okay Jay, I'm here." She said while running her hand over my back.

I started to quicken my breath and not knowing what was happening scared me more.

"What's going on why is it hard to breathe." I ask the 2. "Its okay Jay breathe." The brunette boy tells me.

"Breathe 1, breathe 2 come one continue." She tells me placing her hand over my heart. Calming me down.

"I've got you Jay. Always." I tell him.

End of flashback

"Kenzie," I say reaching out before sliding down onto the dirt rode where she rushes down beside me.

"Its okay Jay." She says before pulling me into a tight hug.

"I've got you." She says before putting her hand over my heart and counting with me.

"There it is again." I laugh out causing her to look at me confused.

"There it is again, that funny feeling." I say again.

We both sit in silence laughing a bit and just embracing the company of each other.

A/n

Hey so just a cute chapter of the best friends. This isn't me shipping them or anything just a quick short chapter of JJ and kenzie.