welcome

TW: ABUSE mental and physical

"topper, why would you do that!" i screamed at him right as we stepped into our house.

"kenzie you don't understand. john b is a bad person!" he said angrily while taking a step closer.

"you know nothing absolutely john b. or jj." i said while clenching my teeth. "maybe not but i do know they are nothing but poor, useless pogues. they are bad makenzie!"

he yelled at me raising his arm threatening to hit me. i jumped back running into a table. "if you care about them so much go be a pogue." he threatened. "i will topper. if you want me gone so badly i will. ill leave!" i screamed at him and forced past him walking off.

topper grabbed my arm surely gonna leave a bruise. "makenzie elena thornton. dont make me hit you just like dad did to mom." i learned to suck up to what he said because he wasnt afraid to hit people even if you're family.

i wanted to stay quiet but i couldnt, "go to hell topper," i spat at him.

he let go and slapped me across the face. "go makenzie! i never wanna see you." he screamed so loudly it reminded me of our dad. "fine with me!!" i yelled back and ran upstairs to my room.

i texted sarah,

--

'sarah can i please come stay with you? topper is kicking me out.'

'dont lie makenzie. he told me the real story he just texted me.'

'sarah. you believe my brother who yk is abusive over your best friend from over 10 years ago?!'

'go away makenzie dont come back.'

--

just like that my own best friend had turned on me. i had no where to go. i dont know why but the only place i could think was pope heyward. we used to be friends when we were 10.

his dad adored me and i adored him as a family.

i packed a bag, grabbed my phone and charger and got into my car. i first started off by going to a hotel, but i missed a turn and ended up at popes house.

i knocked on the door and all the memories came running back.

-----------------------------------------------------

JULY 10, 2018

KNOCK KNOCK

me pope, and kie all heard the sound of someone knocking.

"ill get it!!" i said because pope was getting towels for us to go swimming and kie was in the bathroom.

"why the hell are you here makenzie!" my dad yelled at me angrily. "dad.. i was just.. hanging out with friends." i stated trying to calm him.

he grabbed my hand and pulled me outside of popes house. pope and kie followed us outside to make sure i was okay.

"dad im sorry. i just wanted to go swimming." my 15 year old self and never hung out with anyone outside of school, besides sarah.

my dad ignored me and slapped me as hard as he could. he dropped my arm which made me fall and both my hand were on my cheek.

"mr. thornton!" kie yelled but it was no use, he had already gotten into his car and left. i sat on the hot cement tears streaming down my face from the pain, and embarrassment my dad just caused.