Chapter 47 : Take it easy

3 weeks later

Nat's POV

3 weeks have passed since I woke up, I spent a week in bed, it was the longest week of my life. Luckily Clint stayed with me for the whole week, but he left to see his family 2 days after I got out of the hospital. I would have come with him, he offered but I have to stay, we have to take care of Y/n. Besides, two agents leaving when you're not supposed to be able to leave, that would have made people talk. Clint got a special pass, Laura is about to give birth.

Also, Thor had to go back to Asgard but he promised us he would come back soon and that Heimdall will tell him if we are in danger and we need him. That's how he knew that Y/n was attacking us all, his all-seeing friend saw it and warned Thor who rushed here to help us.

I spent my second and third week watching Y/n through the screens in the observation room, while Tony and Steve went to see her several times. She was just as they had told me, impassive and emotionless. Yet when they talked, she seemed to really listen to them. She didn't get aggressive either, even when Bruce went to read her the dictionary to see if there were any other words that would make her want to kill us. He's got some time on his hands, I think. I guess he did that to see how she reacts to certain words, he was taking notes at the same time. That must help him to find a way to counter the brainwashing that Y/n has been through.

Anyway, I've been waiting for three weeks to be able to enter this room and see Y/n with my own eyes. I'm finally going to be able to go in, the director gave me the green light as long as I'm not alone. That's why I went to her cell, accompanied by Maria.

Arriving at the door, we waited a few seconds before the guards opened it and then I finally saw the interior of this circular room. Y/n is in the middle, sitting on the floor against her bed. I saw her first in profile and then when I arrived in her field of vision, I saw her turn her head, put her eyes on me, then look at Maria, before looking at me again one last time, she then turned her head and looked in front of her again. She had no reaction, I wish I could read her mind and know what she was thinking.

I motioned to Maria to stand back, then I approached the cell and like Tony before, I stood in front of her, right in front of her cell. She then raised her eyes to meet mine.

"Hi Y/n." I then greeted her. She didn't answer me.

"Do you like it here?" I asked her, but I got no answer.

"I understand that you don't speak, do you hear us at least?"

...

"I'm sure you can hear us, I can see it in your eyes that you're listening to us." I commented then, she raised her right eyebrow slightly in response.

"Don't be surprised, I am a trained agent, I pay a lot of attention to my environment and the behavior of others, I know how to read others." I then explained to her. I then noticed a very slight frown.

All her reactions are really minimal, you really have to pay a lot of attention to see them.

"Don't worry, it's not as effective as reading minds," I added with a touch of humor. This surprised her, she raised her eyebrows slightly.

"What the..." commented one of the agents behind me who must have seen that eyebrow raise.

I was about to tell her not to interfere when the door opened. Y/n and I turned our heads in the direction of the noise and we could see Tony enter. I looked back at Y/n and saw that unlike my entrance where she had been indifferent, now she was following Tony with her eyes. It's not really surprising when you think about it, he spends almost all his days here.