Chapter 39 : Wake up Sleepyhead !

No one's POV

Sounds of work, sounds of metal clashing filled the room. Then sometimes the sound of a hacksaw or the sound of metal being welded. The room is as quiet as a city street during rush hour, and yet, unlike the street which is crowded with people, here there is only one. Only one man occupies this room, only one man is working, only one man is the reason for this racket. No one can disturb him, no one can take him out of his thoughts. He is far too focused to be distracted. He doesn't want to be disturbed, he has to keep his mind occupied if he doesn't want to think about it. He finds the waiting too long and prefers to keep his mind busy instead of spending his days stressing. So he does what he does best, building and inventing new things. He is currently adding new features to a piece of armor he just created, it will never be good enough, so he will keep improving it until he finds it perfect and invincible.

"Argh fuck." he swore after burning himself with his tool. One of his machines then approached and sprayed him with a fire extinguisher. The engineer found himself covered in white powder, he grunted and wanted to get angry when he heard a laugh in his mind.

He looked around and saw the empty room, he was still alone. He knew whose laughter it was, and why he heard it. He just imagined it, this laughter came from one of his memories. He then sat down on a couch and then let himself be carried away by this memory.

"How long are you going to keep laughing?" He asked in a dull voice, he tried as best he could to keep an angry face as he himself felt like laughing with her.

"Haha sorry!" the young lady replied. She couldn't stop laughing, she had put a hand on her upper chest and she slowly slipped out of her seat from laughing so hard. She soon found herself kneeling on the floor, still laughing. The man couldn't help but smile when he saw her so happy. Normally, being covered in powder from a fire extinguisher would have pissed him off, but the good humor radiating from this girl was contagious and all his anger evaporated.

"I can't take it anymore!" the girl said, still laughing. "If you could see your face!" she said, with tears in her eyes. "You have thought so much that she ended up overheating!" this sentence made her start again in uncontrollable laughter.

Indeed, the man had accidentally set his hair on fire, which pushed the fire extinguishing robot to act as quickly as possible. Neither of the two engineers had noticed the fire starting in the hair of one of them. They only noticed it when the robot sprayed them with the white powder. The man was immediately annoyed with the robot, not understanding why it had acted. Until his artificial intelligence explained to him that his hair was on fire. Then the girl started to giggle, the man turned to her in disbelief and his serious head covered with white powder except around the eyes where the glasses were, caused the girl to laugh.

There they were, the girl still laughing, while the man tried to clean his face, hair and clothes. The girl was also covered with white powder, less than the man but still. She didn't mind at all, it was the least of her problems.

The man chuckled as he thought back to that moment. It was the time when the girl was still new and discovered their universe. He would like to have more memories like that, he would like to share more moments like that with this girl.

Wake up, sleepyhead. The man thought then.

"Tony?" asked a skeptical voice. The man snapped out of his thoughts and turned back to the voice. He saw one of his friends, Steve.