My eyes glaze over. My mind travels elsewhere, dreaming of my father brewing my sister and I tea every winter morning as children. But their brutal exile from the city, with nothing but the clothes on their backs flashes across my mind and I cringe. My heart aches and my stomach curdles, my cheeks scorching. I push the thought of my father away like I always do.

But I couldn't wait until morning in that room. By myself. With only my thoughts for company. As I sit on, hunched on the table, a knocking sound startles me from my still hungover, groggy state. A shadowy figure emerges from the back kitchen door.

Aston.

Joy and bewilderment ricochet through my body and a shrill laugh falls from my mouth as I bound up to him, flinging myself into his chest. Warm, soft, and smelling of pine and the earth. He pushes me forward and holds my shoulders.

"What the hell? How did you get here?" The words rush from my mouth the water down the river.

"You need to come with me," he seethes. Jaw tight, he sighs through his nose. "Don't ask questions."

Of course, a hundred questions prickle on my tongue. But I nod and follow him outside. His bony horse and loaded grocery cart hug the darkness outside. Aston nudges me and I hoist myself into his cart. With a gentle flick of the reigns, we lurch forward. I fight the tears brimming my eyes as I regard Aston. His head remains facing the back of the horse's ears, but a flicker of amusement plays at his lips. But I keep my mouth shut while we navigate through the Concave Sector, and across the bridge. I lean back, smiling at the star-freckled sky and liquid night. Wondering if the stars have ever known the darkness surrounding them.

Fear raps against my ribs. What am I about to see?

I swallow my impatience and wait. We skirt the outside of the Convex Sector, along the river, and towards the network of streets. The familiar streets welcome me into their cold arms as we navigate our way closer to my apartment right in the heart of the village. The run-down, red brick building looks no different than the day the Tranqs arrested me. Sweat springs to my forehead in beads. I am a far cry from the girl who foraged for measly potatoes in her illegal forest garden. The thought makes my stomach lodge into my spine. We dismount the cart, leaving the horse with a pail of water, and fastened to a candlelight lamp post as we slip into the building. Dust and grime cling to our nostrils as we climb the groaning steps and arrive at my apartment.

Aston holds his hand out before we enter, his brows knitting together, his eyes clouding over. "Elle," he says, tone gentle. "Brace yourself. I will explain the best I can once we are inside."

I nod, gnashing my teeth. We enter the apartment and I almost kneel over. Lyra hunches on the torn couch. Her eyes travel to me, hollow and distant. Her ribs poke out from beneath her shirt and a yellow tint sits on her skin, blotchy in the crevasses of her prominent cheekbones. My mouth dries and I snarl at Aston. "What the hell happened?"

He throws his hands up defensively. "With the Tranqs crawling in the fields, and the markets, I haven't been able to steal food for her. I understand Prince Talin provided some goods, but whoever he sent has clearly tampered with the food. It was rotten or I could smell the poison lingering on the potatoes."

I hang my head, balling my fists, long nails digging into my palms. Lyra's lip quivers as I scurry over and crouch before her.

"Elle," she rasps, her head lolling to the side as if it's too heavy on her fragile bones. "I think I'm dying."

"That is ridiculous," I snap, shaking my head.

"I'm sick, not just starving," she says, her cracked, pallid lips trembling and my toes curl. "I've been vomiting my guts out for days. Can barely keep water down let alone food. I am... I am going to finally join Mama in the stars." The finality of her words makes my vision blur, and my cheeks burn.