Ironworks is a building in which iron is smelt/manufactured or where heavy iron goods/products are made. 

Kerosene is a thin oil distilled from petroleum, used as a fuel for heating and cooking, in lamps.

Laudanum is a mixture of opium and high-proof alcohol, taken to cure and ease all manner of symptoms. In various forms, opium has been used as a painkiller or a sleep aid.

Lighthaven Dress Code consists mainly of formal clothing. While ladies' dresses are no longer the hooped and panniered gowns, elaborate ball gowns, tiaras and feathers are required at Court events. Gentlemen are expected to don military-style jackets heavy with goldwork embroidery, cream pantaloons, stockings, and court shoes, and also carry ornately decorative cavalry swords. For daywear, the embroidered jackets are less elaborate, and boots may be worn instead of stockings. 

Lighthaven Linneage Annals are a formal record maintained by the Ducal office, outlining each House's members, marriages, births and deaths. 

Magistrate is a judge or justice of a local court, having jurisdiction over the trial of misdemeanours and preliminary hearings involving felonies.

Mechanician is one skilled in mechanics or machinery, versed in the principles of machines or of mechanical construction. 

Menagerie is a popular Fumedge establishment where both Fumedge and Lighthaven clientele may have fun with male and female courtesans. It owes its name to the fact that all the courtesans' bodies and faces are either decorated or augmented in a way that each of them resembles an animal, a bird or an insect.

Ornithopter is an aircraft that flies by flapping its wings. Designers especially sought to imitate the wing movement of birds, bats and insects.

Paragon is a model of excellence or perfection of a kind, a peerless example.

Phial is a synonym for a vial. 

Phlogiston is a particle that determines the combustibilidades of materials. According to that theory, wood has a good amount of them, oil is saturated with them, and rocks have none. Phlogiston particles, when combined with luminiferous aether, enhance the energy output (discharge) of an engine or weapon. 

Phlogiston Particle Projector is a machine or component that produces a plasma bolt, the essential element powering the weapons, particularly harquebuses and pistols. 

Plasma Bolt is a bolt, stream, or pulse of plasma (that is, very hot, very energetic "excited" matter) from an aether/phlogiston-powered pistol or harquebus.

Rattletrap is a rickety, worn-out vehicle; any machine or vehicle that does not run smoothly. 

Red Cap is the most sold drug in Fumedge. It takes the form of the red powder. The inhaler senses a surge of a violent energy and gains temporary strength enhancement.

Skullduggery means a devious device or a trick; underhanded or unscrupulous behaviour. 

Solarium is a renowned public park of Lighthaven, famous for its splendour. It boasts clean, filtered air, majestic plants and monumental statues of former Grand Dukes and Duchesses.

Speaking tube is a voice pipe, a device based on two cones connected by an air pipe through which speech can be transmitted over an extended distance.

Steam-driven is driven directly by the pressure of steam, either at boiler-pressure or while expanding, or by the impact of a jet of steam. Propelled by a steam-engine, as, a steam-driven motor-car. 

Vellum is a fine parchment made from calfskin, lambskin or kidskin, and used for the pages and binding of books. 

Vex means irritate, bother, frustrate, annoy, perplex, baffle. 

Volitant means flying, or capable of flying.