"I finished taking the last images today. I've formatted some of the photos and they look grand. I just hope I find a publisher who's interested in buying the book."

Molly's last book had been a huge success. It had raised thousands of dollars for an eight-year-old girl's bone marrow transplant.

But Tess was worried about the frown on her friend's face. "You could always try self-publishing."

"That's true. There's always another way to reach your end goal. Now, what will we do about you? What's your end goal?"

Tess looked up at the sky and remembered a time, not so long ago, when she'd asked herself the same question. Her end goal then had been to turn a run-down ice cream parlor into an amazing café. But beneath that, there was something far bigger than anyone knew.

She'd bought herself time, hidden where no one would find her. But, from the moment they'd started The Bridesmaids Club, Tess' time had been running out. And she didn't have anywhere else to hide.

"My end goal is to stay in Bozeman." Tess sat taller in her seat as more children ran around the park. "If Logan's friend recognizes me, it doesn't matter. I did nothing wrong. Evie's life ended because she made some terrible choices and I won't do the same thing. I'll do everything I can to keep the story out of the papers."

"What about the senator?"

"If Mr. Bigshot Senator wants to pick a fight, he'd better be prepared to lose."

"Good for you," Molly said. "Now let's go back to the café and work out how we'll win your battle."

Tess held Molly's arm as they marched across the park. If there was one thing she was good at, it was making plans and sticking to them. And this time, she'd make sure she had an alternative plan for everything that could go wrong.

* * *

Tess knocked on Logan's front door. She was about to put into action steps one and two of her plan with Molly. Step one was to tell Logan about her past. Everything.

Step two was slightly more complicated. Molly said that knowing your enemy was more important than knowing your friends. They didn't talk about how she knew this, but Tess was happy to go along with Molly's superior knowledge.

As well as telling Logan who she used to be, she was supposed to find out about his friend, the reporter from Seattle.

Logan opened the door. Tess stared at the casual trousers and cotton shirt he was wearing. He'd had a shave, maybe a shower. He didn't look like a man settling in for a relaxing evening at home. He looked like a man about to go on a date.

"I didn't mean..." Tess closed her mouth and tried again. "I hope you didn't change your plans for me."

Logan frowned, then looked down at his clothes. "I'm going out later. I'm glad you called. I wanted to see you, too."

"You did?"

Logan held the door wider. "Yeah. Come in. Make yourself at home."

Tess looked around the living room. Nothing had changed since she'd last been here and met his sister. It was only a few weeks ago, but it felt like a lifetime.

"Have a seat on the sofa." He glanced at her laptop and backpack. "It looks like you've come here to study."

Tess left the laptop on the coffee table. "It's not studying, exactly. More like background research." She wiped her hands down her jeans.

"Do you want a drink? I have coffee and hot chocolate. Or tea. Mom's arriving tomorrow and she likes a cup of herbal tea."

Tess shook her head. "I'm okay."