𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

Start from the beginning

Mia drops the Peony Blush Jo Malone candle she was smelling and follows me back into my bedroom. "Trust me, I know."

"What do you mean?" I look over my shoulder at her as I rummage through my knicker drawer.

"Just saying that you need to hide your vibrators a bit better, Haysie." She says sheepishly, spooning her coco puffs into her mouth.

"You can get out now, Mia," I shoo her off. "Go on, out you go."

An hour later, I'm standing in my floor-to-ceiling mirror, wondering if my outfit is work appropriate or not. I've never had a job so I wouldn't know. Mia left twenty minutes ago for a hair appointment so I'm left on my own to make the adult decision.

I'm wearing the Beige 3D Flower Knitted Mini Skirt from Magda Butrym and the open-back knitted top from There Was One. I've paired the outfit with J'Adior slingback pumps in nude. Hermès 30 Birkin in ivory white, Gucci belted detachable-collar coat. My hair falls down my back in big, blown-out curls. My makeup is minimal and overall, I look professional.

The time is coming up to half past twelve, so I lock up and climb into the back of my town car. My driver takes me over to Forbes where I climb out and hesitate by the back door.

He said no one had to know last night and the fact I've already lied to Mia is weighing on my consciousness. Is walking into this club and working for him going to be the best thing for me? For us? But then I remember seeing Albie with that girl last night.

I'm over Albie, never was really in love with him anyway but he did prove to be a great friend to me, a sturdy shoulder to cry on. I take a deep breath, roll my neck and push the door open to the club. It's a bit cold in here, very quiet except for the bartender and a few hungover drinkers who still haven't ended their night.

I go straight down to the offices, walk in without knocking and stop short when I see Carter on the other side of the desk instead of George.

"Oh, hi, Carter."

He groans at the back of his throat, his head falling back on the chair. "Alright, Haysie?"

Carter's chest heaves up and down, eyes dropping and lip caught between his bottom teeth. "Are you having a stroke? Overdosing? What's wrong?"

A deep chuckle that ends in a moan causes realisation to dawn on me like a dark cloud. "Oh my god, there's someone under there, isn't there?"

"Mhm," he moans, uncaring that his been interrupted.

"Oh, ew, oh my gosh," I run out with a hand slapped over my eyes, bump into something hard and fall against the stone wall behind me.

"Harper?" A hand pulls my hand away from my eyes. I stare up at George who's never looked so confused.

"Carter's getting head in your office and now I want to cry," I breathe out, horrified.

George rolls his eyes and takes me up to the main part of the club. He orders me an espresso martini and sits us down at a booth where a few papers and a laptop sit.

"This is yours," he pulls a sleek white Apple box from the seat next to him and hands it to me, plastic wrapping still on it. I stare down at it. The latest MacBook.

"Thanks," I set it down on the table.

"As for today, I mean, there's not a whole lot you can be doing but I'll set up your laptop with all the things you need and show you what to do." George takes a sip of his bourbon, a weird quietness settling over us.

We sip our respective drinks. My mind flashes with images of last night—what happened, what could've happened. I think he's thinking the same because the longer he looks at me, the darker his eyes get.