Voices ~ Y4

The Gryffindor Quidditch team -- Harry, Fred, George, me, Katie, and Angelina -- trail behind Oliver Wood through the courtyard, toward the distant Quidditch pitch. Several students are outside, studying.

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program. We're going to train earlier, harder, and longer! What the... I don't believe it!" I follow Olivers gaze to find the Slytherin team marching towards us, equipped for practice.

"Clear out, Flint! I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today," Oliver announces to the Captain.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." As Wood snatches the parchment from Flint's hand, Ron and Hermione come up to join the scene.

"'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker." Oliver reads from the note. "You've got a new Seeker? Who?"

Draco Malfoy steps forwards and grins at the shocked faces of our team.

"Malfoy?" Harry says in disbelief.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year." As one, the seven Slytherins hold out seven brand-new gleaming broomsticks. The Gryffindors look stunned.

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand Ones," Ron points out.

"A generous gift from Draco's father," Flint says while smirking at me. I scoff at him.

"Ah so you were bribed with new brooms so you would let this little git on the team," I sneer.

"You see, unlike some, my father can afford to buy the best," Malfoy says in the Weasley's face.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent," Hermione snaps in Malfoy's face. He steps closer to her and Hermione stands up straighter, as if ready to fight him.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood."

My blood boils. Hermione looks hurt and looks to the team for help. Everyone reacts as if Malfoy has said something horrific -- everyone except Harry, who looks puzzled.

"You little -" I start, but before I can take a step at Malfoy's throat, Oliver holds me back. "Let me go." Oliver just holds me tighter as I try to resist and move towards the snake.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy! Eat slugs!" Ron points his cracked wand at Malfoy. PFFT! -- a bolt of green light scissors out the wrong end, hitting Ron himself in the stomach. As he drops to the grass, Hermione runs to him.

"Ron! Say something!"

Ron opens his mouth and...belches. Hermione draws back, and watches a slug dribble out his mouth. The Slytherins crow with laughter. Angrily, Ron rises, only to belch again. Fascinated, Colin Creevey runs up with his camera.

"Wow! Can you hold him still, Harry?!"

"Get out of the way, Colin! Let's take him to Hagrid. He'll know what to do," Harry says, rushing forward to help Ron. He and Hermione support Ron and rush him towards the Gamekeepers hut.

I turn to Malfoy again, ready to attack, but I'm stopped again by wood.

"You guys can have the pitch," he groans, not looking at Flint. Oliver drags me back and I look at Flint's smirk. I throw up the finger.

"Wood, common, let me go," I protest.

"No, cause I can't have our best chaser off the team charged with murder."

"You can help me hide the body, no one would know," I suggest. He sighs and finally releases me.

''''
Two nights later, I'm in the library with the Twins, Cedric, and Rolf. I retell the story to Cedric and Rolf and Fred and George occasionally chime in.