Chapter 21

Winter was nearing its' end, the signs of spring sprouting through, the sun's rays straining to warm the best they could. With it, the once icy roads now dry, gave way to a particular Harley FL Softail as it cruises down Main street, stopping in front of Granny's, drawing the attention of Mayor Mills as she watches from her car. The rider nonchalantly dismounts while removing his helmet before walking into the diner. Panic fills Regina as she realized she has no idea who this man is. As quickly as she can, she parks her car and rushes for the diner door.

August Booth, with his dark hair, strong build, and eyes that had seen more than they should in his short lifetime, casually walks to the bar and takes a seat. Ruby takes notice quickly of the strapping young man and rushes to take his order before any of the other waitresses has a chance. "Hey stranger, what can I get ya.", she asks, leaning into his personal space just enough to make sure she has his attention.

"Cup of black coffee please.", he smiled oh so charmingly.

"Anything else? Granny mean lasagna."

"Just the coffee, thank you."

Ruby stared into his eyes, chewing her gum with her mouth slightly ajar, trying to figure this stranger out. Lightly slapping her hands on the counter, she pushed back. She grabbed a mug from below and reached over for the black coffee pot, expertly pouring it to the top of the cup. "Let me know if you need anything else...", she paused, leaving room for him to insert his name. Instead, he merely nodded his head as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I don't believe we've met", a kind, but icy voice drew August's attention, his head snapping to his left. The face he was met with caused him to nearly choke on his drink. "I'm Mayor Regina Mills, nice to make your acquaintance." The mayor offered her hand to the young man.

"Uh, ya, hi." August ignored her gesture and returned his attention back to his coffee. The blood in his veins already beginning to boil. It would be his luck that he's not in town ten minutes and The Evil Queen is the first to greet him...well second if you count Ruby, Red.

Regina prickled at the brush off but held her composure, she had to keep a calm and welcoming approach or risk the stranger leaving before she learned more about him, where he came from more to the point. "I don't believe I got your name." The man simply finished the rest of his coffee, an obvious attempt to stall the conversation or end it quickly, she wasn't sure.

"That's because I didn't give it.", he replied turning to look her dead in the eyes. His own intriguing and yet intimidating blue. Like ice. He had the mayor speechless. No one spoke to her in such a way. "If you'll excuse me..." he stood, pulling some crumbled dollar bills from his pants pocket and laying them on the counter. He didn't wait for a response before he was out the door.
________________________________________________________________________________

"Sherriff!", Regina burst through the office door of the Sherriff station. Her eyes stared daggers into Graham as the man held up his finger. He had been in the middle of a phone call when she so rudely interrupted. Having his memories back, he was in no eager hurry to appease her now. It was obviously causing the woman to seethe.

"Can I help you, Regina?"

Regina's head snapped to the side. There stood David, holding a file in one hand and a perplexed look on his face. "It's MAYOR Mills to you, Deputy." She snarled. "And no, you may not, I need the Sheriff to do his job for once."

Having finished his call, Graham nonchalantly strode from his office to lean against the doorway and sighed. "What is it you need today, Mayor."

Ignoring his obvious sass, "A stranger arrived in town today. I want you to follow him, figure out who he is, what he wants. Most importantly, find out where he came from and make sure he goes back today!"

"Has this 'stranger' done anything illegal?"

"No" she answered with gritted teeth.

"Then why do we need to waste taxpayer money following a man whose only crime is being new in town?"

"Because I am your BOSS and I am telling you to do so, Graham! Or have you forgotten who gave you this job in the first place?"

"I believe the citizens did that when they voted him Sherriff. Same as you, right?", David interjected, taking slight pleasure in the anger his comment caused Regina.

"David would be right. If you can find probable cause that this man is a danger, then we will look into him. Until then, Regina, I suggest you leave the police business to us."

Seeing her attempt was futile, Regina turned on her heel, marching towards the door. She made sure to slam the door on her way out for added measure.

Graham and David looked at each other with a smirk. It hadn't been easy the last couple of months keeping the Queen from realizing they were awake. Anytime they could rub Regina the wrong way they took their chance.

"So," David began, "stranger in town? I didn't think anyone from the outside could get through the town line?"

"Aye, I thought the same. Emma did."

"Emma is from the Enchanted Forrest, same as all of us."

"With that logic, that means this 'stranger' is..."

"One of us."