Chapter 20

Emma had been released from the hospital a week earlier, much to her relief. The hospital was never a place she enjoyed being. She had acquired a small concussion, needed a couple of stitches on her forehead, and a sprained wrist. A "very lucky little girl", the nurse had told her when she came to check on her after David had alerted her to Emma being awake. Emma remained in the hospital another day before she was finally discharged. Dr. Whale had been adamant that even though she was going home, she needed to rest. Something that Mary Margret promised would not be a problem. Especially since Emma was grounded and had nowhere better to be.

Today was the first day she and Mary Margret had gone back to school. Having been gone an entire week, the teacher had numerous amounts of grading to catch up on. Luckily for her, David had volunteered to watch Emma. This is how the girl found herself sitting at her father's new desk at the Sherriff's station. Apparently, after his daring rescue of the kids, Graham insisted he come work with him...he had the money in the budget for it anyway...plus there was dental. Seeing the opportunity it provided, David took the job.

"Dad?", Emma whispered. It wasn't as risky to call him by his title here but even walls had ears, so they needed to be careful.

"Em?", David responded, not looking up from his report.

"Can I go to Granny's"

"What do you think?"

"Ummm...", she tried to play innocent.

"You're grounded, Princess." The silence that followed the comment forced his attention to his daughter. If it was possible, she looked equal parts adorable and intimidating with the glare she was throwing in his direction. He tried to stifle a laugh but failed. "What?!"

"Don't call me princess", she mumbled through gritted teeth.

"Hate to break it to you, but you are a princess. Blame your mother for that one, not me." He reached over and ruffled her hair to rub it in a bit more.

Pushing his hand away, Emma let out an exasperated sigh, "I just want some cocoa."

"You can take that up with your mom when she comes to pick you up."

"She's just going to say no"

"And who's fault is that?"

Emma didn't take too kindly to his reminding her of how she got into this predicament in the first place. Instead of arguing, she decided to go back to her math worksheet.

A few minutes later, Graham returned from his patrol. Upon seeing Emma, he smiles and walks toward the pair. "I see we have another new deputy."

Emma looked up excitedly, she had come to like the sheriff, especially now that her dad was working with him. This was the first day she had been to the station since the accident. "Hi, Graham!"

"Is it community service day at school already?"

"No, I'm grounded, and Mary Margret has David babysitting me", Emma replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Well, I've heard foster mums aren't big fans of their charges exploring old mining tunnels. Especially when they collapse. I'm guessing Mary Margret isn't the exception?"

"No, she's not."

The three turned towards the door to see Mary Margret standing with her arms crossed, an amused look on her face. "Next time I might just throw her in one of your cells for the night", she winked at David as she walked towards his desk.

"A night in the pokey would definitely put her on the straight and narrow." David teased back as he stood to meet her with a small kiss.

"Hey! Kid sitting right here!"

David and Mary Margret merely laughed as the father covered his daughter's eyes with his hand and kissed her again. "How was your day?"

"Long", she sighed, "and I'm sure Emma's was just as long so we should be heading home. Thank you for keeping an eye on her, I owe you one."

"No problem at all.", David smiled as he looked back at Emma and winked.

"Ready to go kiddo?", Mary Margret asked, grabbing the girl's backpack from the floor and handing it to her to put her papers in.

"Yup!", Emma quickly grabbed her things, zipped up her bag, and turned to follow Mary Margret out the door. "Bye David!"

"Bye Em", he smiled back at her.

"Bye Emma!", Graham called from his seat at his desk.

Emma paused at the door, "I'll be right back", she said to Mary Margret before turning to go into Graham's office. She ran up to the man and placed a kiss on his cheek. A wave of warmth spread through the man, paralyzing him as memories of a past life flashed before his eyes. Stunned, he looked at Emma. "Thank you for helping David save me.", she smiled and ran back towards the door and her foster mother. "Can we get cocoa on our way home?", she asked as they walked down the hallway.

"What do you think?", Mary Margret replied holding the door open for the two to walk through.

"Uggghhh,", Emma groaned.

Back in the office, David, having noticed the interaction between his daughter and the Sherriff, walked into Graham's office. "You ok?"

Graham, shaking himself from his trance, nervously looked up at his Deputy. "Da-David?"

"Ya?"

"Prince...James?"

David froze. Did Graham remember? Did Emma do this? "It's...well...it's Prince David, actually." Graham, the Huntsman, stared back at him with equal parts relief and terror. "Welcome back old friend."