Chapter 6

She did meet up with Henry again. Emma met up with Henry every day for the next week in fact. She did not, however, consider Miss Blanchard's offer to join her class at recess. That just seemed to risky to her. She would just wait at the castle until Henry was done with school and then the two would cards, she would help him with his homework when it was something she could remember, or Henry would read stories from his storybook. He would offer to let her read, but she would always refuse, reading not being her strength. It wasn't that she couldn't read, it was that the words would jump around on the pages or she would find herself reading the same line more than once. She loved stories, loved to listen to them, and wanted to enjoy reading them, it just required more work for her than most. But she wasn't about to let her new friend know that. Henry didn't seem to mind that Emma never wanted to read.

       Today they were reading about the story of Cinderella and when she met Rumpelstiltskin. Emma was noticing this guy pop up more and more throughout the stories. Before this book, the only thing she knew about Rumpelstiltskin was that he could spin straw into gold, liked to steal babies, and always wanted to make people guess his name. Now, she was finding him incredibly clever, opportunistic, and downright annoying. She couldn't imagine why anyone would want to make a deal with this guy. Henry continued reading, he was to the part where Cinderella and Prince Thomas conspired with Snow White and Prince Charming to capture the Dark One (the other name this guy went by) and break the deal Cinderella had made to give him her first born. About the time that Rumpelstiltskin signed with the squid ink, Emma noticed a black car pulling up to the playground. She had seen the car around town but never the driver. It was too late for her to run, they would have seen her with Henry by now, they weren't exactly out in the open but not incognito either. She would just have to hope and pray that whoever they were, their business was not with her or her friend.

     No such luck it would seem for Emma. A tall woman, with dark hair, and a very sensible pant suit got out of the car and began walking to the playground with strong intent. Her eyes were fixed on Henry and he still had not noticed. "Henry Daniel Mills!", the woman raised her voice as she continued towards them. Henry's eyes snapped up and as he quickly closed the storybook.

"Mom", Henry muttered.

"Mom!", Emma exclaimed, "that's your mom?" Henry merely nodded, his eyes never leaving his mothers'

"Why are you not at Dr. Hopper's office? I went to pick you up and he said you never showed up for your appointment.", her voice was like ice to Emma. This woman looked like she could turn you to stone with one look. Definitely not someone she wanted to cross in a dark alley.

"I uh...I didn't want to go.", Henry finally answered his mother. He started to stand but as he did, he moved the storybook into Emma's lap.

"Henry we have talked about this, you go to Dr. Hopper because it is what's best for you. Now get in the car, I was able to reschedule your appointment.", Henry's mother turned her body to head back to the car but as she did her eyes landed on Emma. "And who are you?", she demanded more than asked.

"Emma", she stood her ground. She learned long ago that if you held yourself with confidence, adults were less likely to try and steamroll you.

"Is that so?", the mayor questioned, "Well Emma...I suggest that you run home to your mother. I'm sure she is wondering where you are."

"Emma doesn't...", Henry began but was cut off quickly by Emma.

"Yes ma'am, it's almost dinner time anyway", Emma stuffed the book into her backpack before looking back up at Henry, "I'll see you soon Henry, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with your mom.", she winked and then jumped from the castle to the ground. She walked a good ways before looking over her shoulder to see Henry, solemnly, getting into the front seat of his mom's car. After finally meeting the Mayor, she could see why Henry wanted to run away that night she met him, his mom was a real piece of work. At the same time, at least he had a mom to care enough about him to come find him.