Chapter 19

Emma and Henry arrived at the mines the following morning. Emma had convinced Mary Margret that she would be spending the day with Grace and that she could walk to the other girls' house herself. However, Emma knew that her mother would probably watch her as she headed off down the street. So, to be certain she didn't catch on, she took the long way around to the hiking paths where she met Henry. Now, the two stood before the entrance to the mines, knowing they didn't have time to doddle if they were to find what Regina was hiding. Grabbing flashlights from Henry's bag, the two began their descent into the tunnels, searching for the source of the glass shard Regina had found earlier in the day.

A couple of hours passed and the two were none the better than when they started. They had finally given up, much to Henry's dismay. Emma had promised to meet Mary Margret at the diner for lunch with David and it was nearing time for her to head back.

"Maybe we can come back tomorrow," Emma suggested.

"It doesn't matter. She probably got rid of everything."

"Who?"

"My mom. She's covering her tracks. That's why we can't find anything."

"Or" Emma began while climbing over a rock, "There was nothing here in the first place?'

Henry stopped in his tracks; his face stunned. "What?!"

Emma stopped to look back at him. "I don't know" she shrugged. "We were down in those tunnels for hours and all we found was a bunch of old mining equipment."

"Don't you see? That's exactly what she wants us to think!" He turned to head back into the tunnels.

"Where are you going?" Emma called after him.

"To find proof!"

"Henry! Come on we need to go! It's not safe down here!"

"Then go home, Emma! I know I'm right!"

The echoes of Henry's yells bounced off the walls causing bits and pieces from the ceiling to fall, unbeknownst to the children.

"Fine! If you wanna run off in the bat cave, be my guest!" Emma was beyond irritated now. "Don't come crying to me when you don't find anything and you get yourself lost."

Henry was seeing red now, "Fine!"

"Fine!" And with that, Emma turned on her heel to head for the entrance. She froze when rubble from above fell in front of her. Looking up, it seemed as if the ceiling was moving. "Oh no" she whispered, realizing what was about to happen. Her attention snapped up to her friend who was about to disappear down one of the tunnels. "Henry!" she called out.

"What?!" he yelled back.

Trying to keep her voice down, she put her finger to her lips, hoping the younger boy would understand. Unfortunately, she was met with confusion. Before she could say anything else, the shaking increased, causing Emma and Henry to both fall on their backsides. Emma looked up at him with pure terror.

"Run!" she scrambled to her feet, her eyes on the ceiling looking for any falling debris as she ran. She spared a glance back at Henry and noticed he was falling behind. Without thinking, she turned around and went back for him. She grabbed his hand and they ran for the entrance. Debris fell in their path forcing them to the right. Thinking quickly, Emma noticed a beam of light coming from what looked like an old mine shaft. The two jumped just as the cave finally collapsed...their world now going dark.

­­­­­­

Emma slowly opened her eyes, adjusting to the soft light of a lamp beside her. Taking in her surroundings she put together that she was lying in a hospital bed. The sensation of a hand lightly grasping her left forearm stole her attention. Mary Margret sat in a chair, her head lying on the bed as she slept, hand clinging to Emma, as if she let go, she would disappear entirely. Emma focused on the woman, really taking her in for the first time. Honestly, there was no denying that she was her mother. Their features were nearly the same, down to their chins.