Chapter 18

A month had passed since Emma had woke David. Mary Margret had brought her back to hospital to visit him like she had said, and even a few more times since. It seemed the teacher enjoyed visiting the man as much, if not more, than her foster daughter had. David had been released nearly a week ago after passing Dr. Whale's tests. Currently, he was staying at Granny's inn while he got on his feet. She had offered him a job at the diner washing dishes and cleaning tables. It may not have been what he was used to in the Enchanted Forest, but it was money and it was a perfect chance for him to see Emma and Mary Margret. The two would come to the diner for breakfast at times during the week before school or for dinner when Mary Margret would have a meeting or just didn't feel like cooking.

Things had indeed heated up between David and Mary Margaret, although the schoolteacher was hesitant to make it known to the public. Even though David and Kathryn had been separated before his accident and subsequently divorced when he was nowhere to be found, Mary Margret was wary of others' opinions. David, having his memories of her being his wife, couldn't care less what the others thought. However, when she mentioned that she was more worried about Emma, he listened. Her biggest fear was that she and David would get close, Emma would get even more attached to him that she already was, and something would go wrong...thus breaking more hearts than their own.

Even though David knew he had his daughter's approval, he agreed to take things slow.

Emma on the other hand, was growing impatient. Knowing now that the curse was real was one thing...trying to figure out how to break it was completely another. Henry had been ecstatic when she brought him to meet her father. The fact that he knew he was right all along, even if only two other people knew, was vindication enough for him. Now, he was more determined than ever to help Emma break the curse. He spent every spare minute combing through the book, looking for the slightest hint that could help them. Unfortunately, they were coming up empty. That was...until the night of the mine collapse.

Emma had been curled up on the couch with Mary Margret, enjoying a movie when the loft began to shake. Nothing much, just enough to cause things on shelves and tables to move and startle the two occupants. Emma jumped from her spot on the couch and turned to the window behind her. She was just able to see the streetlights sway from side to side. The phone rang and Mary Margret quickly crossed the room to answer the landline on the counter.

"Hello?", she answered slightly out of breath, still startled from the event. "Oh, hey David. Ya, we're ok." She glanced over at her foster daughter who had a mischievous grin on her face. Mary Margret rolled her eyes before turning her attention back to the conversation at hand. "No, ya we felt it too. Any idea what it was?"

Emma took the spare moment to run up to her room and grab the walkie talkie that she kept in her backpack. Sheriff Graham had been cleaning out one of the closets at the station and figured she might have some fun with them. She had immediately given the other to Henry, saying they could be helpful during what her friend was now calling "Operation Cobra". It was the code name for hers, his, and David's secret mission to break the curse. Pressing the button on the side, she called out for Henry. It was always risky for her to call him first, never knowing if his walkie was within earshot of his mother. She tended to let him call her. Tonight, however, she was taking the chance. "Henry? You there?"

A moment later she heard his voice come through the static, "I'm here! Did you feel that?"

"We did! What was it?" Emma exclaimed.

"No clue but I'm sure it's nothing good. Maybe we should check it out?"

"There's no way Mary Margret is going to let me out of the house this late. Especially after an earthquake!" Emma rolled her eyes. If she had still been living on her own it would have been no problem. Now, if she even tried to step out the door after her curfew Mary Margret would be on her like white on rice!