Chapter 1

Getting on the bus was surprisingly easy. Apparently no one thought twice about a twelve year old girl traveling alone, as if it was an every day occurrence. August had slipped Emma the ticket two days prior during his visit. August Booth had been the closest thing she had ever had to family. He was the one who found her on the side of the road as a baby when he was seven. Since then they had been inseparable, even ending up in the same group homes when Emma would be sent back from any foster home that would take a chance on her. That was until he filed for emancipation when he turned sixteen. She had been angry at first but he promised to visit any time he could. He had held strong to the promise, coming around to spend the first Sunday of the month with her, like clockwork.

This last Sunday was no different, except, this time would be the last. They were planning an escape, one that would take them away from all their troubles. The idea was for Emma to run away to the bus station and head north with August meeting her days later just in case there was suspicion that he was responsible for her disappearance. Emma's social worker, having been August's as well, was no dummy. He would be her first suspect.
Now here she was, sitting in the window seat in the back of a Greyhound bus, her tattered backpack holding her most precious possessions. A few change of clothes, an old grey sweatshirt, her portable cd player with a couple mix discs a rare friend at the home had made her, some granola bars, a couple bottles of water, about fifty dollars she had managed to save up, a flip phone with paid minutes August had given her, and her very loved baby blanket. She had been wrapped in it when August found her on the side of the road all those years ago.

White, soft, and with her name engraved in purple, it was the only thing she had that showed she, at one time, had been loved. The only thing that she could never understand, if someone had taken the time to make such a beautiful blanket for her, why did they give her up. When she was younger, she had held out hope that one day, someone would come find her. So much so that she kept herself guarded so as not to let herself feel for anything for anyone who might want to adopt her. As time went on, that hope faded and her walls were more to keep out the potential for hurt. She had her share in her short life, that was for sure, but now she was making her own way. As much as she could at least.

"We'll be making a quick fifteen minute stop. Feel free to stretch your legs, use the restroom, or get some snacks. If you aren't on the bus when we take off again, you'll be waiting a week for the next one", the drivers voice came over the intercom. Emma gathered her things as the bus pulled up to a small convenience store and gas station. As she stepped off, she took her first real look at the green forests of Maine. She knew she couldn't chance being seen on a security camera inside the store, so she opted to explore around the premises a bit.

Emma Swan had spent the majority of her life in cities, whether that be Boston or her brief time in Minneapolis, if you can even count six months. That being said, she always felt drawn to the forest. It brought a calm over her that she craved. An escape from the noise and constant movement of her life. The soft greens and browns and whispered sounds called to her, almost as if she was meant to be there. She was walking down a small trail, probably weathered down by previous travelers looking to take a break from the road, when a swift movement caught her eye.

She turned quickly, eyes wide, and mind alert. It was only then that she noticed she had wondered further than she thought. She noticed the movement out of the corner of her eye again, causing her heart to skip a beat. Years of survival instinct she had been forced to develop screamed at her to turn around and head back to the bus. Turning on her heel she quickened her pace and headed back. Her heart dropped when she realized that she should have turned back sooner. Where the bus had once been, were only tiremarks. She went to her backpack to dig out her phone. She only had one number saved, August, the only person in this world she knew she could trust. Hitting the speed dial, her disappointment only deepened when she was answered by a robotic voice claiming she was, "out of the service area". Her luck was worsened when she noticed the closed sign on the convenience store door.

"Awesome" she sighed. Returning her phone to the side pocket, she took her sweat shirt out pulling it over her yellow striped tshirt. Looking at her watch, she knew she only had a few hours before night. She needed to find shelter and fast. Pulling all her courage, the twelve year old turned north and began walking.

After what felt like hours, Emma's legs felt heavy, her eyes were starting to burn, and her senses were on high alert. She had yet to see a house or any sign of civil since she left the rest stop. Starting to lose hope that she would find a safe place for the night, she noticed a sign on the side of the road that seemed to just appear out of no where. "What the...", she started, her eyes narrowing as she approached. "Welcome to Storybrooke. What kind of a name is that?" It didn't matter how weird it sounded, if there was a towm, there were places she could hide for the night and, maybe, find food in the morning.

She decided to continue on, eventually finding her way to Main street of the little town. It was rather late, the street lights were on, and it seemed as if everyone in the town was asleep. She looked inside the different shop windows, trying to get a feel for where she was. Emma only paused when she noticed the grey blur pass by her line of sight again. Turning around slowly, she saw a large dog standing down the street from her. It didn't move, not an inch, and neither did Emma. Her heartbeat quickened when she realized it wasn't a normal dog, but a wolf.

It stared at her with its' one red eye and toungue panting as if it had traveled a long distance. Her fight or flight instinct took over, her feet finding the power to run. She turned the corner of the closest street, only then looking back to see if the wolf had followed. Before she could turn back around she collided into another body. Both stumbled back and fell onto the sidewalk. Catching her breathe and taking one last look behind her, she turned back around to realize it was a young boy about her age she had run into. "Who are you?", she demanded,

"My name is Henry, who are you?"