Chapter 16

Emma and Henry watched through the window as the doctors and nurses scrambled around John Doe. The ambulance had found them by the creek, quickly loaded the man onto the gurney, and rushed back to the hospital. Sheriff Graham and Mary Margret had ushered the kids into the back of the cruiser and sped off to follow. When they arrived, Doctor Whale was waiting in the ambulance bay and quickly took the man back. Now, they were all waiting for whatever news the doctor had. Oddly, the man's eyes seemed to land on Emma's every so often, linger, look to the side, and then bounce back to her. Almost like he recognized but couldn't place her. Emma was startled when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Looking up, she saw Mary Margret behind her staring at the man with a relieved yet perplexed face.

            "Mary Margret?" Emma softly spoke. When she didn't respond, she tried again. "Um, Mary Margret?

            "Huh", Mary glanced down at Emma.

            "Are you ok?"

            "Ya, ya I'm ok.", the older woman glanced back at the man lying in the bed. "We should probably be going."

            "But..." just as Emma was about to protest, a woman came rushing into the room. All eyes turned to her as she wrapped a rather perplexed John Doe in her arms.

            "Who is that?", Henry finally asked the question they were all thinking.

            "His wife.", a rather peppy Mayor Mills answered from behind while she too watched the couple's reunion.

            "His what now?", Emma questioned.

            "His name is David Nolan and that's his wife Katherine. And that smile on her face, well..." she looked to Henry, "...has put me in quite the forgiving mood. We'll talk about your skipping school later. You're grounded."

            Just then, Katherine came out of David's room with a huge smile on her face. "Thank you, so much Mary Margret, for finding David."

            "I don't understand...how did you not know he was here? In a coma?", Mary Margret questioned, dropping her hand from Emma's shoulder and stepping closer to the new woman.

            Emma looked back up at Regina who was holding onto Henry's hand tightly, that infuriating smirk still plastered across her face. It only grew when she made eye contact with the girl. Emma merely glared right back.

            "We're, actually, divorced." Katherine sighed.

            This caused the Mayor to snap her attention back to the conversation at hand, "Pardon" her voice was thick with venom. Emma turned back to the blonde, her eyes now wide.

            "We signed the papers the day he left. Well, the day I thought he left. I never heard from him, so I just assumed he found his way to Boston. You have to know, had I known, I would have been here. We may not have worked as husband and wife, but, he's still a friend."

            "Well," the Mayor began through gritted teeth, "Perhaps now you can reconcile."

            "I actually remarried a year ago, to Jim Holt." Katherine smiled.

            "He's my gym teacher!" Emma said with a smile.

            "That's right." Katherine smiled kindly at the girl. "I told David that I would be around as much as he needs. Maybe it will help him to remember who he is. I'm going to bring some of our old pictures I have stored away in the basement, maybe that can jog something."

            "That sounds like a perfect idea." Mary Margret smiled.

            Emma looked back at Regina as the two women talked. The Mayor was fuming and it took everything in Emma not to laugh. She noticed Henry making a weird face, his eyes shifting back and forth as he nodded his head in the direction of the room. Emma gave him quizzical look and mouth 'What?' trying to get him to explain. Before he could, Regina announced that they needed to be going and pulled him down the hall. He looked back and whispered harshly "Go!". He wanted her to go into David's room. No question to prove their theory that David was Prince Charming.