Chapter 13: Relics

They were outside in the training arena. Mordo looked at Stephen with a tiger's gaze. He circled around him. His eyes were fixed on Stephen. Mordo had taught Stephen how to move his wheelchair with magic after learning it from the Ancient One herself. Now, Mordo had another lesson planed. Fighting.

"Okay," Stephen started, "What are you doing?"

"What? Don't think I'm intimidating?" Mordo asked.

"No. And frankly, I don't think you're funny either."

"Fine," Mordo scoffed. Then he went to a rack near him and took a stick off the shelf. He pulled the stick apart. Stephen looked at Mordo dumbfounded. "The Staff of the Living Tribunal. One of many relics in our world."

"What's a relic?" Stephen asked.

"Some magic is too powerful to be weld, so they are put into different objects. For instance, the Vaulting Boots of Valor," Mordo stopped and did a little side step, producing magic. "The Brazier of Bom'Galiath. Daggers of Daveroth."

"Wow. They really just roll off the tongue don't they," Stephen said, matter-of-factly. "When do I get one?"

"When you're ready?"

"I think I'm ready."

"The relic decides when you're ready. For now, conjure a weapon," Mordo instructed. Stephen clasped his hands together. Then, he pulled them apart, revealing what looked like the strings of a voodoo doll but without the doll. Without warning, Mordo pounced. His staff hit Stephen's stringy weapon. Stephen was flinged back. Mordo kept advancing and Stephen kept dodging with his newly learned, art of wheelchair moving. Mordo picked up another staff. Using it like knives, Mordo made an X around Stephen's neck. If the staffs' were knives, Mordo could've easily sliced Stephen's head off his body.

"You know, I don't think I am suited for fighting," Stephen stated.

"It won't be easy, but you will have to practice," Mordo replied, putting the two relics back on the rack. Stephen looked to the side where the Ancient One was training a student.

"So, how old is she?" he asked.

"No one knows," Mordo answered.

"And you don't find that suspicious?" Mordo raised an eyebrow at Stephen.

"Why would we question her? She teaches us everything. Plus, it is rude to ask a woman their age." Mordo walked to the back of Stephen's wheelchair and started to push him inside.

"You seriously don't find that weird?" Stephen looked up at Mordo. "Like it is completely normal to learn from someone who could be pretending the entire time?"

"All I know is that we don't question the Sorcerer Supreme." After that, Stephen immediately shut up. He didn't need to argue with Mordo.

"I think I'll go to Wong," Stephen said, abruptly.

"Alright. Do you want me to take you?"

"No. It would be good practice for me to go on my own. I need to get used to using magic."

"Ok, but don't overuse it. Magic is precious. We shouldn't take it for granted."

Stephen nodded and started on his way. He didn't use magic at first. He wanted to be out of Mordo's view. When Stephen was sure Mordo couldn't see him anymore, he started to use magic. He took his hands and almost immediately he had little circle 'finger pads' on all of his fingers. Soon, circles of magic formed on them. There were many designs in it, but Stephen didn't know what they were. He let his hands hover in the air as he raised them above the wheels of his wheelchair. The same circle pattern transferred on the wheels. Stephen felt control of his wheelchair. Then, he started moving without using his hands—only his mind. Stephen was a bit excited. He was able to move his wheelchair without getting tired. Now he was ready to go see Wong.

___________________________________________________________

So I finally wrote again after a month -2 days. I have had no time, motivation, or ideas so it is honestly amazing that this is here. 

I have nothing else to save besides tell me if you have ideas bc I'm out of ideas. 

- Winter