Chapter 7: Surrender Stephen

Stephen woke up feeling somewhat excited. He was ready to start healing his legs, but there was a part of him that was still scared. Stephen quickly got dressed in the outfit that was left for him. A gray shirt that looked like scrubs with a white undershirt, and grey pants with a white rope belt.

Stephen quickly found Mordo who led him to the area where Stephen thought he would start the process. To his surprise, he found groups of people in red, grey, and blue outfits similar to his. They were all doing something with their hands. Suddenly, he saw something unexplainable. It seemed like people always said magic was.

"What are they doing?" Stephen asked Mordo, who was dressed in the same outfit he had the day before.

"This is what you signed up for, Stephen. The Mystical Arts," Mordo replied, smiling.

Stephen looked at the people in awe. He always believed that magic wasn't real and that it was just the kid's term for science. He had started to believe it more the day before but thought it was an herb that did that. Not actual magic.

"Go take your spot," Mordo told him, interrupting his thoughts. Stephen wheeled to an empty spot next to an Italian-looking girl. He smiled up at her. The girl nodded her head acknowledging him. Suddenly, someone started speaking.

"For your lesson today, you will learn how to use a sling ring," Mordo's voice said, from the front. "This is a necessary item. Someone will pass them around shortly." Almost as if on cue, someone handed Stephen a sling ring.

"Visualize the place you want to go," Mordo instructed. "Imagine every detail. The smell, people, everything. The clearer the picture, the quicker, and easier, the gateway will come." Stephen looked around him. People were celebrating their success. He was trying, but no sign of a portal emerging was there. Only sparks.

"I'd like to see Mr. Strange," he heard a voice say. It sounded like the Ancient One. He tried looking up, but it was no use. Everyone else was taller than him.

"You can stop now," Mordo said. "This lesson will continue tomorrow." Everyone started to leave and Stephen finally saw who was asking for him. He was right. It was the Ancient One. He started to wheel up to her.

"I can't do it," he told her. "My legs..."

"It isn't about your legs," the Ancient One said.

"Of course it is!" Stephen told her, his voice increasing with every word.

"Master Hamir?" The Ancient One motioned to a person standing behind her. He rolled back his right sleeve that was covering his arm. Stephen slightly gasped when he saw this. Master Hamir had an amputated arm. Suddenly, Master Hamir started producing magic. He created a golden circle. Then another inside. He constructed two overlapping squares. In the center, there was a symbol that Stephen saw. He didn't know it though. It still looked cool.

"Thank you, Master Hamir," the Ancient One said, as he left. "You see Stephen. It isn't about your legs. It is about your mind." The Ancient One started to create a portal. She walked through with Stephen following close behind her. When they emerged, they were on Mount Everest. Stephen looked around him in awe.

"It's Mount Everest," he said.

"Yes. Here, a person can last up to 13 minutes. I reckon you'll last for 2," the Ancient One said, smiling.

"What do you mean?" Stephen asked. The Ancient One created a portal and walked through it.

"Surrender Stephen." The Ancient One closed the portal before Stephen could wheel through.

"No! No! No! Wait! Please!" Stephen's voice trailed off. He was stuck on Mount Everest. He looked to his hand where his sling ring was. "If I'm gonna die, I should at least try," he thought.

Back at the sanctum, Mordo was waiting patiently with the Ancient One. He was anxious. She had done this before, but the one she brought didn't come back.

"Maybe I should—," Mordo started. He was cut short by the portal forming in front of him. It was a pleasant surprise for Mordo as he thought Strange would die. The Ancient One looked at Stephen.

"You might make it as a sorcerer, Strange," she told him. "And if always wheeling yourself around is hard, I'm sure someone can teach you how to use magic for that." Stephen looked like he was going to faint, so Mordo decided to wheel him back to his room. As soon as Mordo put Stephen in his bed, he fell asleep. "Sleep, Strange. You need energy for tomorrow," Mordo thought. He gently closed the door and left to go do some training of his own.