Chapter Thirty- Seven: A Darkness, Black as Night

Start from the beginning

I went to her and she was there, sitting on a bed. One hand was resting carefully on her neck and the other in her lap. She looked down at the one in her lap, shaken. It was clear she had been crying.

"Greta." I whispered.

"Judith—"

She pulled me into a tight hug immediately. My face was pressed against the bit of bare skin that was exposed on her chest, and I did my best to savor the sound of her breathing and feeling of her skin.

"Has Imanthi told you?" She said.

"Yes." I breathed against her skin.

"Let me turn you. I can do it. You deserve to live."

"Of course." I said. "Of course, Greta."

"Then here, let me-"

She started to roll up her sleeve.

I stopped her, gently.

"Just a moment." I said. "I need to get something, and I'll be back, alright?"

Her fingers slipped away from mine.

"You'll be right back?" She pressed. "You promise?"

"Of course."

But of course it was a lie. I did not come back. Instead, I snuck away, only grabbing my bow, the warmest clothing I could find, and the page from my journal with the flower.

In the distance, I looked for the tallest peak in the distance and headed towards it

In the distance, I looked for the tallest peak in the distance and headed towards it. It was foolish, I knew that, but my foolish heart couldn't be stopped.

I wasn't sure how long I had been traveling for. The feeling in my legs had left me long ago. I didn't have much time, and I wasn't going to stop until I was back at the village with the flower. I wasn't going to stop until I knew I had saved Greta. I would fight against anything for it.

But the whiteness was all consuming.

There was nothing in the landscape around me but a thick, inescapable fog of white, of chill that bit viscously at my cheeks. Still, I pressed on.

I didn't know where I was going. For all I knew I was stumbling straight into the clutches of Death. But there was a burning inside of me, an anger that I was unable to suppress.

And it told me to keep going.

And I kept going, until I no longer could. Weakness came over me and fell forward onto traitorous hands and knees that shook just to hold up my own weight. I screamed in the lonesome white and punched the ground in anger. 

"Please, Goddess." I choked out, crunching fistfulls of snow in the thick gloves I wore. "I spent so many years dedicated to your name, and I felt so many times that you had forsaken me. I called out your name and you did not answer me. Time and time again, I cried out, and my only comfort was my own quiet sorrow. While others have tasted all of the sweetness that life had to offer, I went without- gladly, even. Do you not owe me even just a small bit of respite?