Chapter Sixteen: Regret

The next morning when I awoke Greta was already gone

The next morning when I awoke Greta was already gone. The covers were neatly tucked in on the side of the bed she had been asleep on, and I was alone. I supposed it was better this way. I didn't know if I would have been able to look her in the eyes when I woke up. 

I took extra time on my morning prayers, though I didn't know how much good it would do to ease my guilt. After that I started to dress myself. I looked in the mirror in the corner of the room, and ran my fingers over the fresh outline of Greta's teeth on one side of my neck, and the red marks she had made with her mouth on the other. 

My heart sped up, and my face grew warm. I buttoned the collar of my shirt all the way to the top, but it barely covered the evidence of the night before and did little to ease my worries. 

I could only pray right now. 

Pray to the goddess to forgive me for going back on my words, and pray that Greta would keep her word and not go about flaunting to everyone that she had finally gotten what she wanted. 

I didn't think I possessed the constitution to survive the embarrassment I would feel if she was going around to everyone and bragging about the conquest she made over me. 

I left the room, and passed by each door until I could hear their voices in the room that Imanthi had been staying with Quen. 

"Shouldn't we wait for Judith to get here?" That was definitely Ayla. 

"Where is Judith, Greta?" Imanthi asked.

"I already told you. She had too much to drink. I was letting her sleep it off." 

"Did you at least make sure she was okay before you came here?" Ayla asked. 

"She's fine." 

I opened the door and slowly walked in. The four of them were sitting around a wooden table in the small room, and the moment I walked in, all of their eyes were on me. I tugged the collar of my shirt up a little higher and cleared my throat. 

"Sorry. Greta was supposed to wake me."

"I wanted to let you get your rest." She said, "Can't have you being too tired and accidentally hitting me with an arrow— though, perhaps, you may still do it on purpose." 

I looked over to her and she was, of course, already smirking up at me. Embarrassment quickly overtook me just at the sight of her, and I had to look away. Instead, I took a seat across the way from her and tried to act casual. 

"What was it we were discussing?" Greta said. 

Imanthi turned her attention back to the rest of them. 

"I'm meeting with Mathis later today—"

"Ooh, Mathis." Greta cut her off.

Imanthi cleared her throat.