Chapter Thirty-Four: Convince Me

I stayed awake, waiting for Greta

I stayed awake, waiting for Greta. I wasn't entirely sure how much time had passed, but eventually the door to the room creaked open. Surprise filled her face when she saw me there, still awake and reading a book. Perhaps she had thought I would have fallen asleep by the time she returned.

"You're still awake?" She said as she shut the door behind herself.

I barely looked up at her and tried to seem casual.

"I couldn't sleep." I said and continued looking down at the page underneath my fingers without really reading it.

"Oh, uh— would you like me to get you some wine?"

I gave her a soft smile.

"Sure—"

She smiled back, though she did look uncomfortable. She shrugged out of the coat she wore and sorted through a few things before eventually returning to my side with a burgundy bottle in hand. As she leaned over to hand it to me, I caught her by the collar and pulled her in closer. She seemed willing, but unsure, though she closed the distance between us anyway.

I could taste the blood in her mouth— the woman's blood— and it made me feel sick. I winced as I pulled away.

"You taste like blood." I told her. "—And you smell like perfume."

She flinched away from me.

"I— I'm sorry. I was feeding." She said.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Just feeding?" I asked.

She frowned and sat down at the edge of the bed, placing the bottle of wine on the nightstand. It seemed that my words wounded her somehow.

"Of course. Judith—"

"I wasn't asking because I would be upset with you." I clarified, though my feelings were well and truly hurt. "I know you never said that you wouldn't take other women to bed. I have no reason to expect you not to."

She reached over and placed her hand on top of mine.

"Judith, I wouldn't ask you to stay by my side just so I could be disloyal to you."

"Loyalty is never something we have explicitly spoken to each other about."

In truth, there was a lot still that we hadn't spoken to each other about.

"I thought it was implied."

"I didn't want to get my hopes up." I said. "The last time I thought some sort of loyalty was implied, it turned out that was not so. I can't let myself get hurt again."

Dark thoughts started to creep up in my mind, like they still did every now and then. I found that, these days, it was much easier to push them away.

There was a long moment where she didn't say anything.