Chapter Thirty- Seven: A Darkness, Black as Night

You guys I'M SORRY FOR STRESSIN YA'LL OUT I swear everything is going to be okay just trust the process!!! We still have more chapters to go after this

You guys I'M SORRY FOR STRESSIN YA'LL OUT I swear everything is going to be okay just trust the process!!! We still have more chapters to go after this. :) I won't let ya'll down!

I should have known what she would say when she pulled me aside into a darkened room. I should have known from the look in her eyes, pity and pain. I should have known.

But it still felt like the sting of suddenly stepping on broken glass. Jagged edges ripping apart skin.

"She's been poisoned." Was what she had said.

"Well that shouldn't be a problem." I said. "You're a doctor. Can't you help her?"

"I don't have the ingredients I need to make an antidote, and I can't get them here. I can give her something to make her more comforta-"

"No, you're not trying hard enough." I said.

"Judith, I've run through every possible thing I can think of. Fate is cruel, and uncaring, but it is just-"

"Well I don't fucking accept this fate!" I shouted. "I won't!"

She reached out and grabbed my hand, squeezing my fingers in a feeble attempt to comfort me.

"I'm sorry Judith, if there was anything I could do for her, I would." She said.

"I'm sorry as well." I said. "Because I'm not going to be told that there is nothing I can do. I won't accept it. I will go to the afterlife myself and claw her out of the clutches of Death with my bare hands if I have to, I swear it."

"Judith... Sometimes, if we hold onto a rope too tightly, all we do is hurt ourselves."

I snatched my hand away from her and took a breath to try and calm myself.

"Have you talked to her already? Does she know?"

"Of course. She deserves to know her own fate."

"Did she ask for me?"

"Obviously."

"She wants to turn me, doesn't she? So at least one of us will live."

"Yes."

"Does she have the strength to do such a thing?"

"She feels okay right now." Imanthi said. "She has the strength to do it, but it will take away from the time she has left."

I winced and nodded.

"How long does she have left?"

"About a week."

She might have said more. We might have said more. I wasn't sure. Everything was a blur. I went to see her, knowing I would lie.

But this was one last lie I knew I had to tell.