Chapter Nineteen: The Vapor

The next day, I found myself alone in the house with Greta

The next day, I found myself alone in the house with Greta. The place was small, and I had a hard time avoiding her antics, seeing as I had riled her up the night before with all of my talk of secrets.

Currently, I was outside of the house, chopping up more firewood. I wasn't as good at the task as some of the others were, and it took me some time to get it done, but I was glad to get the time away from Greta. I knew she was itching to pester me again, and avoiding her only made her long to be near me all the more.

When I was done, I gathered up the small amount of wood I had managed to split and carried it into the house. 

I did not know how Imanthi had so many dwellings at her disposal to stay at, nor how she had so many underground contacts. I assumed when you had lived so long, things like that accumulated naturally.

Much like how Greta's need to annoy me accumulated naturally throughout the day, something I was reminded of when I entered back into the house and saw her sitting at the table with my journal in hand. When she saw me, her lips curled into a smile.

The wood I was holding clattered to the floor as it slipped from my fingers.

"I have to say, you're much better on the page in person. Literacy is a quality that I admire in s woman." She said. "I really love all of the new content you've added. The sketches of me are nice, as are the detailed descriptions of my hands– and not to mention, this?"

She held the journal open to the page where I had copied about the Great Northern Flower of Purification, and I felt fear run through my veins. I rushed forward and tried to snatch it away from her, but she pulled it away from me just before I could grab it.

A smirk graced her lips as she held it above her head, reminiscent of a childish game.

"Greta!" I snapped. "Give it back!"

I knocked her out of the chair and toppled over on top of her, scrambling upright so that I straddled her hips.

"Don't worry, I've already read it—" She grunted. "I have your secrets already—"

She pushed my journal back to me, but I just tossed it to the side and pressed the hard bone of my forearm against her throat.

"If I choke you long enough, perhaps you'll die." I said.

"No— but perhaps I would get some pleasure from it—" She laughed.

I pressed my arm against her neck harder and felt her wheeze just a bit.

"Then I will just have to find out your secrets. It's the only way to make things fair."

"Who said anything about fair?" She choked out. "If you want to find my secrets, go ahead. You will have to remove my clothing."

"You think I won't do such a thing?" I said.

"At least I finally know that you do find me attractive." She said. "Not that I had much doubt in my mind."