- 12 -

"You must be thirsty." Daria looks over her shoulder and sees Rosalie walking towards her. The burning in her body seemed to have left, but the minute Rosalie mentioned that, the burning all seemed to come back and centers itself in her throat. "Sorry." Rosalie mutters, knowing exactly what Daria was feeling. The anger, the betrayal, the hurt.. the thirst for something that wasn't normal. "I have some if you want?"

Daria had seen herself in the mirror in the hallway when she ran out the front door in anger, and she was frightened. The blood red eyes that had looked back couldn't belong to her. The shouldn’t belong to her. But they did.

"No." Rosalie looks taken aback at Daria's reply, certainly as she saw how her eyes flickered between the red they should be and black that showed her hunger. Thirst.

"You won't survive long without." Rosalie softly says as she takes a step forward and Daria instinctively takes a step back.

"That's alright." Rosalie frowns and shakes her head.

"I'm not going to let it get that far." Daria snorts.

"Are you going to make me?" Her tone challenging before the anger seeps back in. "Like you made me into this?" Daria gestures towards herself and Rosalie purses her lips.

Rosalie knew exactly what Daria was feeling. The latter didn't know, but Rosalie had resented this life for as long as she had been turned. The hatred she had towards Carlisle had shrunk but there were moments it still flared up. One of the reasons she didn't leave the Cullen family had been because she was scared to be alone. To have no one in her corner. And when she finally felt ready enough to leave, Alice and Jasper showed up. Telling her about something in her future.

"We're going to move." Daria frowns and looks over to Rosalie. She still wasn't used to hearing everything so well and had assumed that the woman had left, but she clearly hadn't.

"Why?"

Rosalie takes a deep breath. "Jasper had an accident."

"What kind of accident?" Daria narrows her eyes while a queasy feeling sets in.

"Bella had been here for her birthday," Rosalie says and Daria frowns. Did Bella know? Was she a vampire herself? "And she cut herself on a bit of paper." Daria feels her throat aching at the words. She could almost imagine the blood, the taste. Even if she didn't have any. Yet. "Jasper is the youngest of us all and he couldn't control himself. We all made sure that Bella was safe of course, but we simply can not risk another one of these accidents."

"When are you leaving?" Daria asks softly. Though she may hate a whole lot of people right now, Rosalie still had been one of her best friends.

"We're hoping that you'd come with us." A small and hopeful smile plays on Rosalie lips as she looks at Daria. "I think it'll be good for you to learn about yourself in a steady and safe area." Daria nods slowly. "There are lots of questions that need to be answered and you will need to learn certain skills. We have family up north-.." Rosalie stops as she sees Daria's look. "Vampires like us that rely on animal blood instead of human blood. They can help you too if you want. But it all depends on your answer."

There were a lot of things going through Daria's mind but she knew that she was going. She couldn't risk hurting someone, she didn't want to risk it. She had to learn how to cope with everything.

"What about Penelope?" Daria asks and Rosalie purses her lips.

"She's not doing really well." It was no surprise. It only took 2 years for Penelope to see a whole family be torn apart and ruined, to have them all taken away. A family she cared for, that cared for her, a family that had done so much more than any other family would have for their majordomo.

"Can I see her?" Rosalie's face scrunches up and Daria could see the pain in her eyes as she has to say no. They knew that Daria was going to ask about Penelope, about her family, about everything new. But that did not make the answers any less hard. "Sorry for asking."

"You shouldn't feel sorry." Rosalie immediately replies and she softly places a hand on Daria's. The latter looks at the gesture and frowns. Rosalie hands had always been cold but she had never searched for any other answer than that Rosalie had just always been cold. Now their hands were the same temperature and Daria had to admit that she missed the cold ones.

They get up and slowly start to walk in a comfortable silence with Rosalie unconsciously steering them towards the Cullen house.

"How long has Jasper been in this family?" Rosalie looks surprised at the question but answers it anyway.

"For over 50 years now."

"You mean to say," Daria couldn't hide her disgust. Her anger. "That after all those years." She looks over to Rosalie whose face is filled with sorrow. "After all those years I'll still feel this hunger?"

Rosalie didn't have to say anything, her face told Daria enough and it made Daria feel hopeless, angry and even more betrayed than before.