Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Then you are too."

They were both crammed in the middle of a riot.

"We'll work together," Killian declared.

And they didn't have much time.

"Is that wise?"

"We know we're good at it. Put your back to mine."

He pushed her into action. Stunned, she went along with it, sword crossing her body.

"Woah! Would you look at that? Broody balls hasn't killed blondie after all. Is this an alliance? Should I put my specs on?"

They were coming. She heard the loud stomping of their feet. They reached Killian's side first. His sword slashed out, knocking them down.

Soon, they were upon Reagan too.

I'm glad you're here. She wouldn't have finished this part alone. Not without a few bad injuries along the way.

Just as Reagan sliced through her final throat, the second gong sounded, ending the play.

"And would you look at that!" Seth shouted. "Four hundred and fifty dead with only fifty remaining. Still chance to head to those concession stands and buy things. But wow, what a rush!" A second ticked by. "I'm not saying this shit. I sound dorky."

Breathing heavily, Reagan flung her sword to the ground. The clatter of Killian's weapon followed.

"Are you alright?" He asked, looking her up and down. "No one hurt you?"

"I'm fine. What about you?"

"I'm alive." And that was all that mattered.

Reaching out and touching him would be so easy. He stood right in front of her. She'd been taking their closeness for granted. Now that she didn't have it, she didn't know what to do with herself. She didn't know how to interact.

Killian, for one, looked pissed.

"Something wrong?" She asked, wiping the blood from her brow with the back of her hand.

Killian punched the nearest mirror. Shards shattered, falling to their feet. "I didn't get to kill fucking Petrov."

"But you lived."

"But I didn't get to kill Petrov."

"Why? What did Petrov do wrong?"

"Don't act like you weren't listening. Fucking bastard knew what he was doing."

"Can't be possessiveness over me. I'm just the castle fly trying to sleep with all the guards and royals."

His eyes narrowed at her. He'd  obviously known she'd be listening. She knew the second when he arrived. His scent had hit her so hard she'd hardly been able to focus on anything else. She'd tried to push him from her mind but she'd listened to his conversation all the same.

"Filth like Petrov has no business looking at you. He doesn't need to know the truth. I know the truth. That's what matters."

She huffed, kicking the nearest dead body away from her shoes. "Thank you for protecting my honour by destroying my dignity."

"How are you coping with the exposure?"

Right, he knew better than anyone that this was new for her. Hundreds of thousands of people had just watched her kick ass. If they'd been taking pointers from Seth, hundreds of thousands of people had been staring directly at her ass too. She could count on one hand how many living people knew her as a person and what she looked like.