Chapter 6~~~Chisom

Chisom's pov

It was about 7 o'clock when Nenye left. I had just gone up to my room, when daddy got home.

I was so excited to see him. He'd been gone 2 weeks this time, on his usual business trips. He was never around.

I then heard mom's voice. She was shouting again.

Maybe now wasn't the best time to welcome daddy.

I grabbed my phone off my table and fell on my bed.

I had already forgotten about my mom's shouts and was already singing along to Ed Sheeran's perfect when I heard a loud crash.

Yes, even through the music.

I took the earpiece off and approached my door, rather cautiously.

I didn't even creak like it usually did as I opened it.

I heard mom's voice; still shouting.

"I'm tired! I'm tired ehn. What is it that I haven't done in this marriage? What? Ehn Nosa! Tell me! Tell me you ungrateful b*stard!"

"Calm down, Chidinma calm down, let's talk about this."

I shook as I heard another loud crash.

"Don't! Don't tell me to calm down. Don't tell me what to do! Who do you think you are?
You have no right, no right to say that.
I keep putting up with your rubbish. Ohhhh! I see. It's because I didn't tell your people that when you lost your job five years ago, I single handedly catered for our family, for your needs, you ingrate!"

"Chidinma, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll never..."

" Don't call my name! Don't you dare.
I should have listened to my mother when she told me not to marry you. But no, I fell stupidly in love, now your showing me you're true colors. Now look at me ehn!"

She began to cry and mumble words in Igbo that I could understand.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

I heard daddy say over and over again, as I crawled back into my room and quietly shut the door.

Tears fell from my eyes, as I reached for my phone.

Music was the only thing that helped these days.

            *****  *****  *****  *****  *****

Nenye's pov

I ran as fast as my stockinged legs could.

The year was 2013 and 'the destined kids' were all over the place with their hit track 'Joy Joy Joy'.

I was so excited, yes pure joy was all I felt as I ran towards the yellow car.

It was the 20th day of December. Five days to Christmas.

I had already gotten my hair done.

As I came in closer, a pair of strong arms scooped me up and I giggled exposing the wide gap between my lateral incisors. I had lost two teeth.

I saw my mother come into view as I was dropped to make space for her. He reached out to hug her and she held unto him like her life depended on him.

"What did you buy for me?" I asked, trying to reach into the bag that was slung over his shoulder.

He took out a wraped gift from his bag and I grabbed it from him, excited.

"Not now!" He said. "Wait for Christmas."

***

I was already awake but my eyes were still closed when Nnenna came in to say;

"Nenye, mommy said you should wake up"

I hated Mondays, Monday mornings especially.

As you can already tell. I'm not a morning person.

I forced my eyes open and got out of bed.

I went through my usual morning routine groggily and made it to school on time.

I didn't go to school with Chisom. She went really early and I could never meet up.

Her mom usually drove her to school and from there made her way to Chibees, but was too busy to bring her back; hence the reason why she walked back with me.

Nnenna waved me as she made her way to her class.

I took time climbing up the stairs. I wasn't late anyway.

I got into class and saw Chisom. I started walking towards her and that's when I noticed she wasn't alone. She was talking to no other than...

What was his name again?
Samuel? Sean?

"Hey" Chisom greeted when she saw me.

I mover closer. "Hey"

The guy then turned to look at me.

"Seth, this is my friend Nenye" Chisom introduced.

Seth! That was his name.

"Hi" He said, still looking at me.

"Hey" I replied. "Do you mind, you're on my seat" I said not wanting to join in their conversation, whatever that was about.

"Oh" He said, standing up.

Chisom gave me a look that I ignored.

"Well, I should get back to my seat. See you later Chisom. You too Nenye." Seth said and moved along.

"What was that?" Chisom asked.

"What was what?" I asked also, playing dumb.

She sighed and gave up.

You know that feeling you get when you know someone is staring at you?

I turned to see Miracle Ochulor staring at me. I stared back.

Now a 'normal' person would look away, but not Miracle, she dominated everything she did.

I looked away eventually and I could feel the smirk that formed on her pretty pink lips. Like she had just confirmed something.

I don't know what that was about, but I want none of it.

I didn't want any more attention than I'd already gotten, but with Miracle, the center of attention, staring at me like that, that it made me uncomfortable was an understatement.

I shifted in my seat and got myself ready for first period.

Thanks for reading. If you like this chapter, consider giving it a vote.