15

My teeth shattered as I stood in the town hall's parking lot.

I was a week into Christmas break and my old, battered car had finally broken down on what felt like the coldest day.

All of the streets and buildings were hidden under a thick layer of snow and I could see my breath in the air.

I had called and texted Theo just about a million times asking him to pick me up but all I was getting was silence. My dad wasn't answering either since he was in a meeting.

Why couldn't my car have broken down in the summer?

Landon entered the parking lot. His cheeks were entirely pink from the cold.

It looked like he wanted to walk away without talking to me but his conscience got to him.

"What're you doing?" Landon asked.

"My car won't start," I bemoaned.

Landon quietly analyzed my car. He scrunched his thick eyebrows.

We hadn't spoken since he had confessed he still liked me. Even talking to him right now was awkward.

"I can drive you home," Landon offered.

I wanted to say no, but it was so cold that I pushed my feelings aside.

I agreed to be driven, then the two of us entered his sleek silver car.

As he drove me home, I felt tense. I kept intrusively imagining kissing him.

"Fuck," Landon groaned.

I looked ahead and saw the road was blocked by a large lump of unshoveled snow. I could hear the sound of ice pellets from the hail hitting our car.

This was the last type of condition we should've been driving in.

"We can't be on the roads right now," Landon murmured, "I'm gonna drive you to my house then when the weather is better I'll take you home."

"Okay," I responded.

I swallowed hard.

I stood by Landon's kitchen island and swiftly chopped carrots.

We had decided to cook dinner to pass the time and, more accurately, to have an excuse to not talk to each other. We chopped food while listening to music.

When I first arrived at Landon's house, I had sent Theo a text with Landon's address telling him to pick me up. Yet I doubted Theo had even seen it - he was so unreliable!

"You did a good job planning the Blizzard Ball. It was nice," Landon suddenly said.

He was on the opposite side of their marble kitchen island sloppily cutting chicken.

"Thanks," I replied. "You were there?"

"Just for a second."

"So what'd you do that was more fun than the ball?"

"I stayed at home and watched movies where the characters went to school dances."

I laughed, "of course you did."

Landon smiled to himself while cutting food. His sharp  facial features had a way of making him look like he should've been a marble statue instead of a boy at my high school. His unique hooded eyes and tall nose made it hard for me to not admire him.