Chapter 97: Arjuna as Protegee of Brishaketu

Start from the beginning

"I am sorry, my son. I know that my repent is not enough. I am a sinner. I killed your father and three of your brothers. But can you ever forgive your uncle?!!"

Arjuna told it in choking voice to his nephew Brishaketu. As promised he ran towards Anga state before his middle brother Bhim. Yudhhisthir wanted him to be with his army. But Arjuna rejected his elder brother's order politely. He wanted to face his nephew all alone. He had to beg for his mercy.

Beishaketu was informed by his spies that his uncle Arjuna was coming fast to the direction of his state. He was waiting eagerly for his arrival. He was too young at the time of his father's death. He had not much memories of that time. He thought that his uncle Arjuna was an arrogant and proud snob as rumoured. He never imagined to see a heart broken man begging for his mercy. His tears seemed genuine to him. He was standing with folded hands before him, a mere boy of 18.

"I have lost all of my boys in the war. Avimanyu, Iravan, shrutakarma. I am childless. Batsya (son), can you be my son?!! I am begging for your help. Don't be my nephew. Be my son. I lost my brother Karna. I don't want to loose you too. Forgive me. Please." Arjuna looked remorseful. His eyes were teary. His hands were shaking. This Arjuna was not the fierce fighter of Kurukshetra war. He was a middle aged experienced and broken man. He did not know that his one son was still living. Chitrangada Putra (son) Babrubahan.

Brishaketu tilted his head towards Arjuna with interest. He wanted to blame him. He wanted to curse him. He wanted to ask him questions that he forgot now completely. Arjuna and his tears melted his young heart. He was basically like his father Karna. He was a gentleman himself. He could not curse anyone. He felt so low for thinking of revenge from this broken man. He remembered his mother Padmavati's warnings. It was true. He confirmed from his uncle Shone. After his untimely demise of his father Karna both Arjuna and Yuddhisthir helped them to secure their territory. For them mainly the enemies did not dare to call for a fight against a young Crown Prince and his inexperienced Queen mother. Even these uncles of him stopped the rebellious activities of some rebels in this province. He felt overwhelmed. But he could not talk anything.

Arjuna misjudged the reaction of Brishaketu. He thought that his young nephew was still angry with him. He decided then and there to please his nephew. He drew his own sword and showed it to Brishaketu.

"If you want to avenge your father's death, then go ahead. Kill me. I don't mind." By telling this he knelt down before his nephew by putting his head to his chest. Arjuna never knelt before anyone before in his life.

Brishaketu seemed in trance. He took the sword in his hands and checked it's blade. The sharp blade cut his thumb in an instance. Blood came out. He shivered a little bit. He suddenly broke up from his trance.

"Nooo" He scremed aloud and the sword fell down from his hands to the feet of his uncle Arjuna.

Arjuna lifted his head to his nephew and with teary eyes stared hard at his face. Brishaketu's eyes were moisted. He remembered the beheaded dead body of his father Karna suddenly. A shiver ran down his spine. With his blurred vision he nodded his head slowly in dismissal. He did not want to repeat the same mistake his uncle once done. He fell down on the floor and touched his uncle Arjuna's feet.

"Take me with you, Kakashree (uncle). Not as your nephew or as your son, but as your student and devotee. I will follow you from now onwards. Please forgive my impertinence." He told in choked voice.

Arjuna looked genuinely happy to see this sudden change of heart of his nephew. He tugged Brishaketu to his own chest and hugged him tightly. His eyes were in tears too. Both uncle and nephew cried along in silence.

"I am taking you as my son, not as my nephew. I promise to keep you safe with my own life. I now onwards will be your protegee." Arjuna murmured softly in Brishaketu's ears and then kissed his forehead with affection. He recalled his eldest brother Karna as he felt that his nephew Brishaketu was a splitting image of his father. The same height, the same smile, the same innocence, the same shy nature, the same innocent face. He hugged his nephew more tightly and ran his own hands through the shiny wavy hair of Brishaketu.

"Forgive me, brother. Please forgive me. I am ashamed of myself." Arjuna lifted his teary eyes to the direction of the sky and prayed to his departed eldest brother Karna.

Brishaketu nested his head on his uncle's chest. He was touched by his uncle's generosity. Till then they both became inseparable. Arjuna even jumped into fight with his own son Babrubahan for hurting his beloved nephew Brishaketu. From Arjuna Brishaketu learned everything even how to use Divyashtra. He became his favorite pupil and best follower till end. History gave them a chance to be united. This union was remarkable in the history of Mahabharata.

************************************