Book 4: The Spirit of Competition

Start from the beginning

Mako and Asami do an 'Eskimo kiss'. Bolin and Ryu look with a "Really?" expression, while Korra shows her disgust, but quickly acts normal when Mako turns to her.

Mako: Well, teammates, I'll see you before the match tonight. Asami and I have a lunch date.

Ryu: And Ive got some more training to get done at the temple. See ya guys tonight!

Bolin: Okay, we'll check you guys later, you know, we'll see you when we see ya.

Korra picks up her bag in silence. Bolin then slides over to Korra with his hands behind his head.

Bolin: So, Korra. There they go, here we are, all alone in the gym, just you and me, two alone people. Together. Alone.

Korra: Ah, I gotta head back to the air temple to train with Tenzin. See ya!

Bolin looks disappointed about his failed attempt to pick a date with Korra. The scene cuts to the brothers' attic, where Mako is preparing dinner while Bolin is preparing a bath for Pabu.

The animal protests his owner's act, but Bolin finally manages to dip Pabu into the tub of water, who subsequently rises from it, shaking off water from his body with a look of defeat.

Bolin: Work with me here, Pabu! You wanna look spic and span in your new uniform, don't you? So, what do you think of Korra, in a "girlfriend" sort of way?

Mako: She's great! But I think it makes more sense for me to go for Asami. Plus isn't Ryu and her like a thing?

Bolin: I was talking about a girlfriend for me! Leave some ladies for the rest of us! Plus her and Ryu are just good friends.

Mako: I know, that's what I thought you meant.

Bolin: Well...?

Mako: I don't know, Bo. It doesn't seem like a good idea for you to date Korra.

Bolin: You just said she was great two seconds ago.

Mako: Yeah, Korra is a great athlete and the Avatar and stuff, but I don't know if she's really "girlfriend material". She's more like a pal. Then again her and Ryu do act simular.

Bolin: Bro, you're nuts! Korra and I are perfect for each other: she's strong, I'm strong; she's fun, I'm fun; she's beautiful, I'm gorgeous! Okay, I don't care what you think, I'm gonna ask Korra out.

Mako: Look, it just isn't smart to date a teammate, especially during the tournament. Keep your head out of the clouds and your priorities straight, okay?

Bolin: Yeah, yeah, I know, gah. You know what I'm talking about, Pabu, I'm talking about real love.

Pabu looks confused.
============================

Cut to Air Temple Island. Korra, Ryu, Jinora, and Ikki are feeding fruit to ring-tailed lemurs in the snow.

Jinora: So, how's it going with the tall, dreamy firebender boy? You've been spending a lot of time together lately.

Ikki: Oooh, yeah! Tell us all about the magical romance.

Korra: What? Listen to you two, I-I'm not interested in Mako or any romantic stuff. Besides he's all into that prissy, beautiful, elegant, rich girl... but let's just pretend for a second I am interested in him. What would I do?

Jinora: Ooh! I just read a historical saga where the heroine fell in love with the enemy general's son, who's supposed to marry the princess. You should do what she did!

Ryu: That sounds like the exact opposite of my Great Grandmother and Grandfather love story.

Ikki: What was that like?