Book 4: The Voice in the Night

Start from the beginning

Tenzin: We are grateful for this delicious food, for happiness, for compassion, and...

The camera pans to the left to show Tarrlok standing in the doorhole.

Tarrlok: I'm not interrupting, am I?

Tenzin: This is my home, Tarrlok. We're about to eat dinner.

Tarrlok: Good, because I am absolutely famished. Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?

Tenzin: I suppose.

He takes a seat and glances at his wife, Pema, who scowls at him. He raises his hands, palms facing forward while shrugging, giving her a helpless look.

Tarrlok: Ah, you must be the famous Avatar Korra and the grandson of war hero Lü Bu. It is truly an honor. I am Councilman Tarrlok, representative from the Northern Water Tribe.

They stand up up and bows, with Tarrlok bowing as well in acknowledgment.

Korra: Nice to meet you.

Ryu: Ive heard of you councilman.

Tarrlok: Have you now?

Ryu: Yes. You were just a errand boy for my grandfather when he was in the council at the time.

Tarrlok showed slight disinterest as Ryu smirked. They all kneel in a sitting position. Then Ikki leans over the table toward Tarrlok.

Ikki: Why do you have three ponytails? And how come you smell like a lady? You're weird.

Tarrlok: Well aren't you... precocious?

He directs his attention to Korra, and Ryu although Ikki continues glaring at him.

Tarrlok: So, I've been reading all about you twos adventures in the papers. Infiltrating Amon's rally, now that took some real initiative.

Korra: Oh, thanks. I think you're the first authority figure in the city who's happy I'm here.

Tarrlok: Republic City is much better off now that you've arrived.

Tenzin: Enough with the flattery, Tarrlok. What do you want from Korra and Ryu?

Tarrlok: Patience, Tenzin. I'm getting to that.

He directs his attention to Korra and Ryu while Tenzin glares at him.

Tarrlok: As you may have heard, I am assembling a task force that will strike at the heart of the revolution and I want you both to join me.

Korra: Really?

Ryu: Your joking right?

Tenzin: What?!

Tarrlok: I need someone who will help me attack Amon directly, someone who is fearless in the face of danger. And that someone is you two.

Ryu: Join your task force? We can't.

As surprise lights Tenzin and Tarrlok's faces, Korra eats some of her food as Ryu takes a sip of his tea.

Tarrlok: I must admit, I'm rather surprised. I thought you'd both jump at the chance to help me lead the charge against Amon.

Tenzin: Me, too.

Ryu: Korra, came to Republic City to finish her Avatar training with Tenzin. Right now, she just need to focus on that. And im here as her best friend to support her and make sure she's safe.

Korra: Ryu's right.

Tarrlok: Which is why this opportunity is perfect. Korra would get on the job experience while performing your Avatar duty for the city and you would be there by her side to make sure she's safe.