76 - The Return

{CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX}
"He's free."

There was a delay in Harlow's reaction as her eyes finally opened

There was a delay in Harlow's reaction as her eyes finally opened. Her eyes felt heavy and sensitive, a result of her constant crying and rubbing of them. Her eyes slowly roamed the ceiling above her, the bright white colour was starkly different to the dull grey she had become accustomed to. Eventually Harlow let her head tilt to the side, remaining on the pillow, and her eyes glanced at the empty chair next to her bed. There was a half drank water bottle resting next to the legs of the chair notifying that someone had previously been sat there.

A small groan fell from the girls lips as she used her hands to push herself up. It was a battle, her weak wrists and arms struggling to support her weight. With a heavy sigh, Harlow let her back rest against the headboard of the bed. She gently rubbed her right wrist, trying to massage the sudden pain out of it. She felt pathetic. She couldn't even lift her body up herself. She had grow weak both physically and mentally. Something Harlow wouldn't let herself forget.

She was sat like that, clutching her wrist for around ten minutes. Her eyes latched onto a crack in the wall, staring blankly as her mind screamed at her. It was filled with gruesome and shameful memories that had happened over her captivity. The majority of them were real memories, but the other half were fake - not that Harlow knew that. She flinched at the sound of the door handle moving, immediately sinking back down into the bed and shutting her eyes. The girl slowed her breathing, mimicking sleep as she heard a hushed voice.

"She's still asleep." The voice spoke, Harlow immediately knowing that the voice belonged to Nat. It was a voice she had missed dearly, yet she couldn't bring herself to communicate with the woman.

A soft sigh followed the woman's words, "I brought all of the stuff she left at my apartment." A man revealed, the voice belonging to Steve who was yet to see the girl. He stepped into the room, a sharp inhale leaving his lips as his eyes finally landed on the girls face. He had been told about the scars, wounds and bruising but it was so much worse than he thought. His heart lurched as he walked to her bed side, noticing the deathly paleness to her skin. The guilt Steve felt was immense. Not only had he lost his childhood best friend, but he almost lost Harlow. The girl he promised to protect and be there for.

As if Nat could read the mans thoughts she leaned against the door. "It's not your fault." She repeated what she had told him more than a million times already.

Steve avoided looking at the woman, his eyes instead focused on the girls face. He wanted to reach out and gently stroke her hair but he knew that he couldn't. After melting down in Nat's arms, sobbing uncontrollably, Harlow became erratic. In her emotional state, Harlow was inconsolable and unable to calm down. Her powers started to go haywire as she fell apart. Harlow had to be heavily sedated and once she was put to sleep, the girl was cuffed to a bed. Natasha had insisted that the girl be left un-cuffed while she slept, arguing with anyone who objected. She had kept a close eye on the girl, sitting by her side for the majority of the day.