67 - Broken Record

{CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN}
"Don't worry Wormy, it's Harlow after all. She'll always come back to us."

The boys were absolutely loosing their minds

The boys were absolutely loosing their minds. Total and completely.

No one had spoken for over three minutes, not one word muttered. It must've been a record for them. The marauders were usually always chatting boisterously about something unimportant or a prank. But it must've been a record set for them. Going three minutes without saying anything.

Just because their mouths weren't moving didn't mean that their minds were frozen or still. Their brains weren't working or functioning properly. They were travelling a mile a minute, mostly focused on fear. Millions of questions and random worries were practically being screamed and shouted inside the boys heads.

What the fuck just happened?

That question was the loudest one of the lot. The one most present and articulate. None of the boys could begin to fathom what hell Harlow was dealing with, at the exact same time as they're freaking out over the quickly shut down phone call.

Peter, usually the most anxious and paranoid of the boys, was surprisingly the first one to talk. "We could -eh-try phoning her back." He suggested quietly, his tone remaining completely unconvinced and nervous, as he fiddled with the tips of his fingers as he spoke. Peter was always constantly fidgeting when he's nervous or panicked. In class his hands would be constantly moving, so it didn't come as a surprise to the boys to see him picking at the skin around his fingers.

Sirius rolled his eyes in frustration, his concern making him more irritable than usual, "Yeah... cos she'd pick up." He retorted sarcastically, his voice sounding snappy and grumpy, "She hung up." He added, speaking slowly with breaks to emphasise his words and get the point across to Peter. The poor boy frowned to himself, almost ready to cry from the sting of Sirius' words. To try and make himself feel better, Peter reminded himself that Sirius lashes out when he's scared or stressed. It wasn't a personal attack.

"That wasn't really gunshots was it?" James muttered stubbornly, choosing denial as his method of processing what just happened. "I mean surely Harlow wasn't being shot at." He tried to sound confident with his words but he failed miserably. It wasn't at all comforting to any of the boys.

"She most definitely was!" Sirius responded fiercely, finding the boys childish - in his opinion - replies to be rather annoying. "Of course she was fucking being shot at." He basically shouted, his arms wildly gesturing around as the volume of his voice got louder. Sirius' arms dropped to his sides and hit against his thighs. Looking at his friend, he took in a deep breath.

Remus nodded his head softly, his brain working away. "Yeah she was being shot at..." He acknowledged softly, sounding far more hopeful than the other boys, "...but she's with the Avengers. I mean she is an Avenger so she's fine. She's absolutely and totally fine." He spoke quickly, forcing a small smile onto his face. Remus was often one that was left to reassure the other boys, but it didn't mean he believed his own words.