Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

         "That is very thoughtful of you, Claire, I am genuinely touched by your concern," Xeiren replied, the ghost of a smile blossoming. "But I knew what I was getting into the moment I offered you the use of my ship. I'll make sure you reach Ninguid, one way or another."

         "Incoming!"

         They all looked in the direction of the shout and saw the black mass just moments before it erupted from the clouds and dove towards the ship – a loud shriek erupting from a gaping maw. Aside from its mouth there seemed to be no other recognizable facial features, not even a head. The only other discernible feature were the long, black, leathery wings erupting from either side of the shapeless creature.  
         The ship banked hard to avoid a collision and Claire would have ended up on the floor again had Valerick not caught her in time.

         "We have to get below the clouds, it's the only way to see what we're going up again," Xeiren said before darting off in the direction of the bridge.

         "If I asked you to go below deck, would you?" He asked, his expression one of deep concern."I'm sorry, I can't..."

          Valerick sighed. "Stubborn as Nathalie," he said. "Very well, stay close to me otherwise I will be distracted trying to keep up with you."

         Claire nodded and followed him as he made his way towards the bridge where Xeiren had already resumed command of the wheel. 

          "What is it?" Valerick asked.

         "It's difficult to say, Ninguid is full of strange and wild magic, the likes of which we've never seen, it could be anything. Whatever it is, it's big," Xeiren replied before returning his attention back to the ship. "Here we go. Everyone hold on tight."

         Without further warning, the ship began a sharp descent downward. A cold, biting wind whipped up around them causing Claire to close her eyes and duck her head. As the ship hummed beneath her feet, she grabbed hold of the nearby railing with both hands. Wordlessly, her father stepped in closer, offering himself as a shield against the elements.

         Anything she might have said was cut short by a gut wrenching screech rising up over the sound of the rushing wind. Whatever was attacking them made another pass, an inky black blur lost in the thick cloud bank now racing by them.

         When they finally broke through the bottom layer of the clouds, Claire got her first look at the mountain. It was breathtaking and utterly terrifying. It cut across the landscape like the jagged backbone of a sleeping dragon, the sharp peaks softened only minimally by pristine white snow.

         Creeping up along its edges were dark swaths of forest, the trees as ancient as the mountain itself and home to just as many dangers. These were of little concern as a far more immediate threat had finally revealed itself. No longer able to use the clouds for cover, they were able to see the creature clearly for the first time. As it swooped towards them, wings flapping effortlessly, its featureless face splitting apart to reveal row after row of jagged, needle like teeth, Claire noticed a figure sitting astride the creature's elongated neck.

          "Ready the cannons!" Xeiren bellowed.

          Claire frowned.
         Surely she was just imagining things.

         "Prepare to fire!" Xeiren yelled again. His instructions were being repeated all along the line to ensure everyone knew what was happening.

          As the creature came into range of the cannons, Claire was no longer able to deny what she was seeing. Her breath caught in her throat and she leaned into the railing, as though a few extra inches was going to make a difference.