seventeen

"I would like to thank everyone for coming to my Dad's birthday..."

Kuea was just smiling while watching Lian on the stage together with his parents. His eyes are only on Lian who was also looking at him with all the love he had for him.

The audience clapped their hands after he pause the speech. Lian on the other hand, give a meaningful look to his parents and they were giving him a sign. Lian pick it up and nod at them. His two lovely parents step down to the stage and they left Lian alone there.

Lian took a deep breath. The music played as he started to sing in front of us. His sight never breaks on Kuea who just feels elated and weirdly feels lost.

He slowly takes a step out to the stage and walks towards Kuea. The spotlight took them. All the people invited were eyes on them. Looking forward to what's happening.

Then Lian gets closer to Kuea. He ended the song and he took the younger lad's left hand. He bend his right leg and kneeled in front of him. He took the ring from his pocket.

Flashes the shining diamond ring inside the box. Kuea was looking at it with a heavy heart. He couldn't say yes even though he felt he wanted it.

Lian was trembling inside seeing his ex-fiance looking only at the ring for a couple of minutes already.

The younger lad switch his eyes to Lian who was waiting for his answer.

Kuea smiled while he is nodding his head. A loud gasp filled the air.

"No---"

Kuea open his eyes and saw the familiar ceiling. He was confused until he pinch his own cheek and felt the pain from it.

"That was a dream?" he thought to himself.

The way he let out a relieved sigh.

"But that seems so real to me" he added and then continue to pinch his own cheek again. "Well, the pain was more realistic!"

He took his cell phone from the side table. Then he saw Diao's text that he went out early because he has an early class today.

---

The first day of their semestral break and Kuea was running out to do. He was done cleaning all the corners of their house, he even water the plants outside and clean the dishes. He was also done playing his drum for hours while killing his time.

"Oh I know what to do!" he snap his finger and excitedly rushed to his room to change his clothes.

He went out of their house using his big motorbike and he is on his way to the circuit. It's been a long time, he didn't race for these past few weeks already.

Before he could go to race a lap. He texted Diao to let him know that he is in the circuit.

He just sighs while putting his helmet on and he hops into his big bike.

---

Diao read his boyfriend's message. He just shakes his head. He knew what his boyfriend was up to. He was exiting the campus and getting off to pavement. He was about to book a cab.

"Diao" someone called his name. He tilts his head up. He just saw a familiar car stop in front of him. The window slid down and he saw the familiar guy who was just smiling at him.

Diao sighed as he didn't expect him to be around here.

"What are you doing here Hia Yi?" he was trying to sound friendly and not to feel him he is invited.

"I did some errands around this area. I just decided to pass here to see you" Diao was arching his eyebrow as he got suspicious of him.

"How did you know I am here? Did you know that I am teaching here?" he was taken aback by what he realized. 

Yi let out a deep breath. His excuses weren't working on him but made him discover that he eventually knew already.

"Well, your dad told me before" Diao only nodded even though he was still a bit confused but he didn't ask anything further. He just let him there and he ignores him.

"I can give you a lift"

Diao gave him a fierce stare. But Yi didn't want to give it up.

"I booked a cab already" he lied.

"Okay then... I'll wait for your cab and I'll pay him" the short lad getting pissed off.

"You can't do that to me. I am by myself anymore. I am not the old Diao who was still dependent on you. I am not a child anymore" Yi was now taken back. He felt those words from Diao. Sudden guilt hit him.

He lied. He purposely just wants to visit Diao's taekwondo school. Just to check on him. Whenever he misses him. This time he just grab a chance to talk to him and be friendly with him.

"Okay, I am so sorry for being that stubborn. I shouldn't approach you." Yi heavy-hearted told him.

Diao on the other hand, was a bit shocked by those words that he told to him. He felt guilty for being rude to him.

"Hia Yi..." he called him. Their eyes met. Diao felt strange about it, it was the first he had laid his eyes on him since from the last time they talked. He doesn't feel anything special about it.

Opposite from Yi. His heart trembling. He felt the world spinning as always whenever he looks at Diao's face, especially his eyes. He knew those eyes, it will never be him again.

---

Almost 30 minutes just passed. Kuea felt so tired after riding his big bike again. It has been a long time so he did not kinda use to it. In exchange for it, he felt the refreshment he'd been craving so far.

He went back to the locker room area to get his water tumbler.

"Kuea" he immediately looked back to where the voice coming from.

His face became delightful as soon as his boyfriend arrive.

Diao went to him for a hug. The young lad hugs his boyfriend tight.

A man faked coughed as Kuea was disrupted from hugging Diao when he notice Yi was awkwardly standing there.

Diao pushed him out of the hug.

Kuea felt weirdly rage looking at Yi. It had been a long time since they met. He just doesn't understand why he was tagging along with Diao.

Diao felt the awkward atmosphere between the three of them.

"Oh, Hia Yi gave me a ride to go here" Kuea was silently nodding then switching his gaze to Yi who didn't know what to do or to say.

Kuea only sigh as he tries to conceal his feelings.

"I'll go outside" Yi felt that he need to be out of that room. He was about to walk out the door.

"Hia Yi, could you give Diao a lift to our home? I am done here" Kuea silently took his bag from the locker. Then he stormed off quickly into that room.

While Diao and Yi were confusedly looking at each other.

to be continued...