Chapter 2

JIMIN.

Technology has come a very long way for humankind, our generation has transitioned into a new era that allows us to get away with a lot of things, but they don't come without their restrictions. Electric cars, DNA altering, AI's slowly learning to co-exist with humans and so many other things. But things like these make our jobs difficult for people like me but they're also quite interesting and we love the thrill.

Tonight, I'm playing Erik Slovak; a long-time anonymous multimillionaire bidder at the Imitation Fair. Tonight's job is simple, on paper at least, but every moment, every step, every conversation, and every second is critical. One wrong move and we all end up behind bars; unfortunately jail tail is something mankind has failed to improve on.

It's a shame really because jail time would have been the perfect retirement plan if only it were the perfect location.

"We're here." Felicity announces and we both look out the window at the flashing lights waiting for us. Erik Slovak's appearance had been announced and every news channel is out here tonight eager to put a name to the green dollar bills that sponsor their ridiculous hobbies.

"I don't understand it." I say tilting my head a little as I continue to stare at the crowd. The windows on the car were tinted so even though they knew that we had arrived they couldn't see what we were doing from outside.

"What?" Felicity asks giving me a quick one over.

"How they do it, I haven't even stepped foot in there and I already hate it. How do they live like this every day?" I ask truly curious.

Growing up my family wasn't exactly poor, but we weren't exactly rich either, we just managed to get by with what we needed. Still, I wouldn't have asked for a different life even as I gazed at the rich and powerful from the outside. I was just confused and wanted to understand but till now I still don't.

"You can't." Kenna's voice comes through from the Bluetooth speakers in our ears. "You'd have to be like them to understand and you aren't. I'm sure Felicity on the other hand would fit in just right." Kenna continued unable to stop herself from taking a jab at Felicity.

"The clock's on, you should get a move on." Daemon spoke up cutting through the conversation and ending the fight before it could get out of hand.

"You ready?" I ask and Felicity takes in one last deep breath before giving a nod. I step out first and the flashing lights seem to intensify as I round the car and open Felicity's side. Taking her hand in mind Fel poses the perfect smile as we both turn and look out at the cameras for a couple of pictures before making our walk down the red carpet and into the function.

Before the sun comes up tomorrow morning all of those pictures would have disappeared like they never even existed.

The door opens and we're escorted into the building by security on each of our side. We get to security check-in, and I don't miss the many cameras zooming in on our every move.

"Name?" The guard behind the desk asks as he stands with a clipboard in hand; I answer confidently and Fel does the same.

"Erik Slovak."

"Ayla Slovak."

Once our names are confirmed on the list the real test begins; one wrong move on this side and we're out. Felicity goes first; her clutch goes through the scanner and passes with no issues. Then she's escorted to the full body scanner and once she steps in, the screen next to her lights up as it scans every single one of her features to the strand of her hair.

The next thirty seconds are tense; thirty seconds that's all it takes and when that ding echoes with the green checkmark next to her face confirming her identity as Ayla Slovak, I release the breath I was holding. Fel is escorted out of the machine, and I go in next, another thirty seconds, and that ding echoes again.