Chapter 13

"Kill me," Thresh says.
"What? Why would you want me to kill you? Don't you want to win?" Cato asks.
"You two were friends with Rue, I'm thankful for that. There can be two Victors and I know that you two have a thing. And I couldn't kill you two for protecting Rue, so kill me, Two."

I turn away as Cato kills Thresh. I hear the canon go off and the trumpet horn of victory. I turn to Cato and presses his lips on mine.

* * *

Cato and I wait at the side of the stage until Caesar Flickerman introduces us again for our Victor interview.
"Please welcome the Victors of the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Cato Stone!" Caesar says.
Cato and I walk on stage, hand in hand.

We sit beside each other, Cato is the closest to Caesar.
"Cato and Katniss, how did you feel when you won the Games?" Caesar asks.
"It was... great and bad," Cato says.
"And why do you say that?"
"Great, because I have Katniss with me now and forever. And bad, because Thresh sacrificed himself."

"True," Caesar says.
At first, I didn't believe that Cato was in love with me. And now, I do. I feel the same way about him.

* * *

I wait outside President Snow's office as him and Cato talk. Well, argue.
"You're not from District 12, you're from District 2, Mr. Stone. You have a family, I don't think that they would approve," Snow says.
"I love her, I need to go to District 12 with her," Cato says.

"Where would you live?" Snow asks.
"In the Victor's Village, with her," Cato says.
"I'm sorry Mr. Stone, but my final answer is 'no'."
I hate Snow, I'll only be able to see Cato once a year and for only a few weeks.

"Please, President Snow. Isn't there anything that I can do?" Cato begs.
What are you doing, Cato?!? You're putting yourself in danger by asking that question!
"Actually, yes," Snow says.
"What? Name it."
"You do realize that there's going to be a Quarter Quell next year and in 26 years, correct?"

"Yes, of course," he says.
"But this offer involves the Quarter Quell in 26 years. In fourteen to eight years, she's to have a kid, your kid as well. She's or he's to volunteer at the Reaping for the 100th Hunger Games. Deal?" Snow asks.