Chapter 12

I wake up next to Cato, my head in his chest. Both him and Rue are asleep and it's dark, the anthem comes on. I see Glimmer and Peeta in the sky. Only two? The other Tributes must be good. Rue is probably the youngest by a long shot. Then I hear five canons. There are only five of us left, two others and us.

The time is coming, where we'll have to face each other. I bet that the other two that are left are Clove and Thresh, they're tough. How long will Rue last? Then I hear a scream in the distance. Cato and Rue wake up quickly. I know that scream, it's Clove. I knew she would be alive.
"I won't be tricked Two!" Thresh shouts.

It's just Thresh, Clove, Cato, Rue and I in the Games. I see that Thresh has pressed Clove to the Cornucopia and is choking her. I see the urge in Cato's eyes to go help his friend, Clove. Then Rue runs through the bushes, to Thresh. I try to get up and run after her, but Cato grabs my wrist.

Then Clove gets out of Thresh's grip and throws an axe into Rue's head. A canon goes as she falls to the ground, dead. I scream her name, but Cato covers my mouth and wraps me in his arms. I cry. Then I hear another canon, I hear Cato murmur,
"Clove."
Thresh killed Clove.

Thresh will kill us, even though Rue was our friend. He might show me mercy, but he'll kill Cato for sure.

Why did Rue go to them? Did she want to go to Thresh? If so, why? If I stayed with Clove, would Rue and Peeta be alive now? Probably not. But would I be in a better situation? I don't know.
"We have to go, Thresh will see and kill us," Cato says.

I nod and get up.
We run further into the forest, I hear someone running after us. Thresh. I trip over a log and Cato crouches next to me.
"Do you need help?" he asks me.
"No, I'm good," I say.
I get up and see Thresh walk through the bushes.

Then an announcement comes on, Claudius Templesmith says,
"attention all Tributes! There can be two Victors."
Two? TWO?!? I don't have to kill Cato, we could go home! Together! But what if Thresh kills us both?

Thresh thinks for awhile. He hands Cato his sword.
"Kill me," Thresh says.