Chapter 3

Peeta, Haymitch, Effie, Cinna, Portia and I sit at the table and eat dinner. Which is turkey, plum soup, strawberry juice, bread rolls and goat cheese. When I'm done, I'm too full to have dessert, chocolate covered strawberries.
"How was training?" Haymitch asks us.

"Katniss practiced her strengths with a Career," Peeta says. "The Careers will kill her, it's not that hard to see."
"I joined the Careers, Peeta. And there's nothing you can do about it," I snap.
"So Cato knows that you're good with a bow?" Haymitch asks.
"Yeah, but I know that he's really good with a sword," I say.

"Now, you know his strength. Find his weakness and kill him," Effie says.
I groan. I'm not going to kill him, Cato is my friend.

* * *

The next day, I don't train with any of the Careers or Peeta. I climb the net with the girl from District 11, Rue. She's really good at climbing the net, then Clove shakes the net and Rue whimpers. Rue loses her grip on the net and falls, we're at the top. She'll die!
"Rue!" I scream.

Just before Rue hits the ground, Cato catches her. I sigh. But Clove doesn't stop shaking the net. Peeta pushes her out of the way.
"Awww... Lover boy is protecting the Girl on Fire," Clove says.
Peeta and Cato glare at her and I climb down.

"Is there something wrong here?" a Game Maker asks us.
"Yeah, Clove nearly killed Rue and Katniss," Peeta says.
"I bumped into it, it was an accident, I swear," Clove says.
"Okay," the Game Maker says, walking away.

She actually believed Clove? Well, she's from District 2, the Capitol's favourites. As if he's embarrassed, he finally puts Rue down and on to the floor. Then Glimmer walks like there's sexy music to Cato.
"That was very brave of you to catch that young, small girl," she says.
"Uh, thank you?" Cato asks.

I stand with Clove, laughing quietly. Peeta and Rue leave and I see Marvel silently laughing at Glimmer and Cato. Cato gives us a 'help me' look and we pretend like we didn't see him.
"Only if you could come to my floor and stay with me in my bedroom," she says.
Clove and I walk to Marvel, bursting out with laughter.

"Maybe we should help him," Marvel suggests.
"Not yet," Clove says.
Then Glimmer tries to kiss Cato, but he avoids her and walks to us. Glimmer pouts and follows him, looking like being rejected was the worst thing ever.

I realize that the Careers have their own personality:
Glimmer is girlie.
Marvel is clever.
Clove is agressive and wants to win.
And Cato is the leader.