xxi - ensue and endure

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Wren and Ren were early. June didn't know who invited them. But had spotted them and booked it to the back.

June peeked her head into the occupied room. Anxious. Screeching notes crawled up the concrete walls as she watched Kennedy tune her trumpet while the others were doing a quick round of sound check. Anxiety increasing. Rafe stepped into her peripheral vision, stealing her attention completely. Adjusting his guitar strap on his six five build. But as if her intent gaze had burnt him, his deep brown eyes lifted up, staring directly at her.

She swore beneath her breath, spinning on her heel, and heading straight to a pair of velvet curtains around the stage. Swiftly and gracefully hiding her figure behind the fabric when she heard his distinct footsteps follow. June owned Doc Martens too. Although she had worn her infamous pair of Mary Janes today, which gave her blisters, but anything for the picturesque, right?

"June?" he mused.

She held her breath.

A few moments dragged silently. She heard a bit of pattering on the floorboards but nothing loud enough to indicate he was nearing closer. Which he was. His arms enveloped around the curtains, swallowing her in it as she yelped. Shoulders thrashing till he released one arm.

Rafe hummed, the coiled fabric coming loose and presenting a disheveled June, his other arm still curled around her waist. "What are you hiding from?" he inquired, pulling her towards him slightly.

June huffed, fixing her hair before locking their eyes together. "Shut up and kiss me."

He blinked, startled. June knew how out of the blue her words were. It was abrupt and it wasn't the right time for it. But she craved his comfort the most right now. There were so many responsibilities she had on her hands that it had taken a toll on her as it kept pilling up and up and up. Alara. Mom. Wren. Wren. Wren. And even more, but she only allowed herself to focus on the three as they were the most detrimental. The rest she could get to later.

Rafe let out a short laugh. "Missed me, huh?"

"I missed you," she agreed impatiently.

He drew her in closer by the waist. Smirking a bit. "Yeah?" his voice was unusually low.

"Yeah," she whispered, matching his volume, leaning in to meet him half-way.

His breath tickled her.

"Rafe?" a voice that didn't belong to June.

Irritation pooled into her guts, Rafe paused, observing June's face for an indication on who was behind them. But she shrugged because she didn't know the ginger who'd interrupted their once brewing kiss.

Rafe released June, and turned around. Recognition begrudgingly plaguing his tense expression. "Carmen."

Carmen looked between June and Rafe. Eyelids heavy. "Sorry. I thought- I didn't see you there," she said softly, directing the words to June who looked uncomfortable, sensing the strange atmosphere.

June shrugged. "No problem?"

Rafe chimed. "Why're you here?" He didn't look at June. She scrambled for his hand, but stopped herself when she saw Carmen watching her. Rafe still didn't look at June.

"I'm still friends with Nicole," Carmen voiced, eyes flickering back to him as if that explained everything. Perhaps to Rafe, but June was still perplexed.

Rafe nodded. "Right. I can't force you to leave. Did you have a question?" he said, grabbing June's hand, fingers lacing. Carmen tried not to look, but was clearly aware. June suddenly understood. He was using her to make the ginger jealous. Carmen was Rafe's ex. She wondered if it was the one he'd told her about on the night they'd first met.

Carmen swallowed, looking up at him. "Can we talk in private?"

Rafe finally looked at June. Wanting conformation, searching her face. Is it okay?

No, she wanted to say. No, It's not.

June nodded, glaring at the girl when Rafe looked away. She needed Rafe distracted so, she could go talk to Wren. But if she heard that Carmen tried anything, June would go ballistic.

It was like he'd expected June to nod. As if she were this virtuous woman who didn't feel the slightest tinge of envy due to her self confidence and the security and trust she had in him. June daydreamed about crushing Carmen's windpipes as they walked away. Her heart ached to watch him go. But certain sacrifices must be made.

June did a line of coke in the restroom, (credit to Henry who'd introduced her to the fine powder and it's wonders), eyes rolling back. Before she pulled herself together, sent a quick text to Juliette, and waited until Wren was alone. Not even two minutes later, Ren excused himself to step outside for a cig, June moved, a little drowsy.

Wren sipped at her drink, red acrylic nails tapping against the glass mindlessly.

"Is it really you?" June feigned a surprised voice and wore an expression similar to her tone.

She looked back at June, indifference at first, but then her eyes widened. "Hi," squeaked Wren, at a loss for words.

"Hi, Wren."

But her surprise vanished. Wren's face scrunched up into disgust. "What the fuck, June? Did you follow me here?"

June rolled her eyes. "You're such a narcissistic whore, I'm friends with the band that's playing here tonight. And you're... what? On a date with Ren?"

"How the fuck do you know him?"

"Don't go snapping at me! I met him before you. I'm only here to tell you to act like we don't know each other. He wants to introduce you to his friends, and unfortunately for you, I'm one of them."

"Stay away from him, you psycho bitch."

June tilted her head, brows drawn. "Are you even listening?"

"You don't feel any remorse, do you? Celia was right about you, you're a sociopath," Wren spat.

"Okayyy," dragged out June.

"If you won't leave him alone, I'll just go and tell Ren-"

June lifted up a hand. "No, you can't do that. Look, I won't talk to him anymore but that means you can't talk about our past either."

"And what if I do?" she sneered.

June couldn't help but smirk. "How'd that go over last time?" she bit out, Wren recoiled.

"Oh, fuck you."

"Take the deal, Wren. Make it easier for both of us. I won't talk to him anymore, but you can't talk about me."

"It's not about him. I have a restraining order on you because you tried to fucking kill me! Do you know how traumatic that shit was for me? And how demeaning it felt when no one believed me?"

"Lower your voice when you say such things."

Wren stayed silent. Eyes hard.

June sighed, sitting down beside her and crossing one leg over the other as Wren watched with a tight jaw. "Embezzlement, huh?" June started hinting at the fact Wren had framed her ex boyfriend, according and thanks to Henry's data.

Wren eyes became so round, half a minute passed as the startled girl drew her eyes to the ground, gears turning in her head, and without even asking how June knew, in riposte, she mumbled a defeated, "fine."

June smiled, but it soon faded when the thought of Will and Carmen flickered back into her head. She glanced up, Ren stalking toward them. "If you'll excuse me," she muttered, but when she turned, Rafe was standing there.